in need of an opinion...

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

in need of an opinion...

Postby t-ville » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:50 pm

i've got a 12ft G3 with a 5hp yamaha that i use in ponds and on some of the larger lakes around here for hunting. lately, however, i've taken an interest in doing some coastal diver hunting. i see bluebill's and buffleheads on some flats that i fish all throughout the summer and i've been all over these flats in this boat. this area is somewhat of a bay(protected by a shallow reef area-not coral-grassflats) and very close to my beachhouse(maybe a mile away). my question is would you guys hunt out of a 12ft boat in saltwater? i know the weather can be pretty unpredictable in the winter, so i just wanted some of you yall's imputs.
t-ville
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:21 pm

In calm water with somebody within radio range on waters that you know (you fish there so you are probably familiar with them) one could carefully hunt from a 12' boat. Now, would I do it? Probably not. The necessary gear for successful diver hunting would probably overload a 12' boat making the trip out & back dangerous. Plus the ability to get the heck out of dodge pretty quickly should weather blow in is questionable with a 5hp motor.

Just my opinion, but I like more underneath me when big water duck hunting.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:56 pm

As Apexhunter said, you could carefully hunt the bay with a 12 footer, but I wouldn't recommend it. My friend on Long Island got a 12 foot boat, and he hunted with it for one season on a bay that he'd been on for years. Then he got a bigger boat. He gave the boat to me, it was a big improvement over the canoe I had been using. I hunted for divers with the boat (using a 6 hp) on the lakes around here for two seasons. Then I got a bigger boat. Even though I was careful with the 12 footer; watched the weather and also watched the weight in the boat, I still felt as if I was taking a risk every time I went out. Often the wind would change and I'd have a hell of a time picking up and getting back to the launch. With a boat like that you have to pick your days and you're relatively limited as to when and where you can hunt when compared to a larger boat.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Been out for eider wiuth this little gem....certainly need to choose the right day/seas/winds.....if you know the area, know your boat and understand when to make a move, I see no reason why a 12 footer is 'wrong'........on the other hand, don't take chances unless your seamanship and skill, al;ong with boat performance allow you to!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:17 pm

Nice rig DUKHTR....

Another thing to ponder t-ville is that diver hunting is normally best when the weather is BAD, really bad...windy, rough, cold, low ceilint & rainy, etc. Just the kind of days one doesn't normally associate big water in small craft.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:40 pm

I am running a 14' deep vee, and i keep a very close eye on the weather reports, if there is even a chance of it gettin real bad, i will either stay near land where i can get out of trouble fast, or not go at all, it's just a duck, and they will be there tomorrow, plus i have my 12 yr old with me alot now, so i take even less chances with him in the boat then i used to.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:39 am

Don't know about a G3 but my 2 cents says having a V-hull is a good idea, even if it's only 12 foot. All other safety precautions would apply.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 pm

yup, i'm with M-C, my vee hull is very stable out there
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TARHEEL3ID » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:15 am

Also before I hunted like that I would make sure my swimming ability was that of an olympic swimmer, and my life insurance was paid up.
TARHEEL3ID
hunter

Postby t-ville » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:05 pm

alright...well my other option is about the exact opposite...we have a 24ft proline with a t-top. would this be worth shooting from? the sides are pretty high, and are black w/a silver stripe. the t-top however, is white, and stands out. what i had thought about is getting a layout boat and using this boat to get me out and back.
t-ville
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting