question for you layout hunters

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

question for you layout hunters

Postby t-ville » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:16 pm

if you dont have a dog do you just leave your ducks out until your done hunting? if the water is shallow enough can you get out of your boat to go retreive them? i guess i just dont know how layout boats work and how you guys hunt from them.
t-ville
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:21 pm

Lay out hunting is normally done with 2 boats and sometimes 3 ,you have the layout,and a tender, the tender boat is responsible for setting decoys, picking up birds and dispatching cripples. Also watches over the hunter in the layout. This is at a min. a 2 man sport. The layout is also hauled to and from the hunting location by the tender boat.
JAKE H
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:14 pm

we do the same with the tender boat, but we do have a motor on our layout, never know when an extra motor will come in handy. Sometimes i will hunt with the layout by myself, but it cuts down on the amount of deeks i can carry. But i never get out of the boat, i set my deeks from the boat , and pick them up from the boat.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting