Decoy Sets

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Decoy Sets

Postby JAKE H » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:43 pm

I know this topic has been covered over and over,and I have read alot of material on the subject, but here's the ? anyway, We have tried running diver lines {setting them, picking them back up is not a problem} the problem is birds just seem to skirt the spread. We have killed a few but most don,t even give us a look. They always seem to be 75 -100 yards just the other side the spread, we have even picked up and moved {were ever we go same thing} have run several different patterns no real change, We have plenty of buffleheads decoy, and afew goldeneyes but no bluebills. We are runnin 6 lines approx. 12 decoys per line, have our species seperated,6 Cans,3dozen BlueBills,18 Scoters,6 Goldeneye,6 Buffleheads. the only thing we havent tried is trailing a long line off the spread to kind of catch the birds as they skirt. We were thinking this might cause the birds to land short. We are hunting from a layout {small 9'} so I don't think the boat is the problem. Gonna try them agian soon, so any advice apreciated!
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:33 pm

How close is the layout boat? I use 3 long lines with 16 dekes on each. I run 2 end to end and over lap the third line where the 2 meet. Then I throw out a dozen singles in the center. I position the boat 30 yards from the center of the spread. Unfortunately my blind site has the wind blowing in my face. The birds hit the line and when they get to the singles they turn into the wind to set down. Makes for some easy shooting as they stall making their turn. This setup works well for me and makes some for some good shooting for the youngsters.

Mike
Last edited by Mikeguard01 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby JAKE H » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:34 am

We have been placing it at the head of the spread, and putting a line behind it to try and help hide it better, still new to this,so your saying boat needs to be off to either side about 30yrds by itself? I know we will probably figure it out, but just need some advice to point us in the right direction. I thought divers were suppose to be dumb, now it seems the shoes on the other foot :toofunny:
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:28 am

Divers as with any other duck will wise up after being pressured. I don't like the birds coming straight in looking but I hunt from a blind. I have never hunted from a layout boat. The birds should not be bothered by the boat since it is such a low profile. Also what type of camo are you using on your boat? Should be battleship gray. You also might try flagging and make sure they have a place to land. Somebody on here probably could give you better advice I'm no expert. I normally keep trying different things till I stumble on something that works.That's part of the fun. Let us know how it works out.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby JAKE H » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:12 am

boats flat gray with faint black bands running across it, Thanks for the input
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm

I just hope it helps. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Good Luck
Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby contender27 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:06 pm

Also make sure you leave a large enough landing hole for the ducks, that usually will help them decide to land.
contender27
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Went out this AM. Did not take the layout boat because it was just my son and I, took the johnboat instead and being that there are very few puddle ducks around we decided to try the divers anyway. There wasn't a whole lot of them neither, but we did manage our first Bluebill , which came all the way up the long trail line picture perfect we also got a couple of buffleheads, past on most of them but one group of about 15 was irresistible
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:05 pm

Jake,

I'm glad it worked out for you and your son. Now all we need is a little cold weather to push some more birds.
Not seeing a lot in Maryland.
Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:56 pm

I'm not sure if the method we use would apply but I like to set up my spread to draw attention away from my boat. On a windy day, anchored from the front our 18 footer would swing with the wind and offer approaching birds a better look at the boat than we wanted. Because the birds would approach from down wind we put the hole about 25 yards away from the boat and no decoys within 15 yards from the boat. This helped alot by keeping the ducks focus away from the boat. We put a long line of singles about 10 ft. apart, maybe 80 yards from the back of the boat ,leading them right up into the hole.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting