Layout collision?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Layout collision?

Postby chrispbrown271 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 pm

So tonight I was skimming through the forum and got to thinking about layout hunting. The small bay I hunted last year (and will be back in there this year) consistently had 2-3 hundred bluebills rafted up in the center. I killed my share, but mostly when they swung too far my way or swam in after landing in the big raft. I was thinking a layout boat would be the ticket to set up and slaughter them. But then I thought about all the boats that went tearing through the center of that same bay (often helping move some birds my way) and wondered how often people have close calls when out in a layout boat. I have seen people going all out with 100 plus hp motors right down the middle (most of the time trying their best to go through the center of a raft) and I can just see me out in the layout and having some jack wagon cutting it too close and sinking me! So, anyone have any stories?
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Re: Layout collision?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 am

A good layout you will have no problem with wake...assuming you are in deeper water not sand bars. The layouts will simple rise with them as any other boat would. Even freighters wake in deep water aren't that big of a problem.....

now take that same freighter wave in sand bars and you will capsize.....learned that the hard way. It swamped my boat, I jumped out when I saw the wave but still had a boat full of water. Lol. good thing the have plugs.

I wouldn't worry about it though. In the active parts of the day when people are out and about just keep you tender closer and people will stay away from you.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:00 pm

I had a group of guys yell at me for running up on their layout once; it was a heavy chop on a rainy day and they had probably 2 dozen small deks close to the layout. To make matters worse the tender was beached on shore a half mile away and the occupants never made any motion to give themselves away. At the time my motor was brand new and I was driving back and forth behind my layout for the prescribed break in (something I had been doing all morning). Long story short, I drove no less than 100 yards from them before I spotted them and I wasn't going fast at all but it was close enough for them to get upset with me. Lessons learned, 1) your in a boat designed to disappear on the water, don't be surprised when it does 2)If someone who knows what a layout is can miss you and not see you, a fisherman or boater can certainly not see you 3) carry an orange flag and don't be scared to use it 4)Bigger is better when it comes to decoys in terms of both size and numbers and while there are times that small spreads work better, be aware that you are less visible to others especially in rough water (we always run one line way out from the layout and it seems to get boaters and birds attention much quicker). 5) Don't expect others to know you are there; theses guys came in late morning and passed us (closer than 100 yards I might add) while we were adjusting the decoys for a wind change and set up a few hundred yards behind us and we never noticed them. 6) the most important rule is that the layouts safety is the responsibility of the tender; keep a visual contact and radio contact with your hunters at all times and warn them of boat traffic because if it is windy, they usually wont hear a boat from a blind side until its too late, we also tend from the blind side and will cut off any boat headed for our rig.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:50 pm

We do two things, keep the tender closer, and use and orange flag. When another boat nears wave the flag, between that and the tender response its usually enough.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Shade » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Anybody tried an Air-horn on the layout? Just thinking via keyboard....
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Ist light is very dangerous on open water. We use a nav light right up til shooting time, then the diver flag or sit up when someone approaches.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:34 am

we always have a black flag for the ducks and a big blaze orange one for boats in the layout and a walkie talkie and our cell phones. It is the tenders ONLY JOB to guard the layout not chatting looking for ducks or cooking breakfast. Ive been in the layout with a large commercial fishing boat heading toward me very scary
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm

We just carry an extra box of T-shot. Seems to work rather well. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting