little help.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

little help.

Postby jedisme » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:42 pm

alright i'm done burlapping and painting the drakes. i need some help with hens what color browns do i need? (ringneck hens)
jedisme
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:05 pm

take a picture with you to the paint store and they will be able to match it pretty well
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:39 pm

I use burnt umber for just about everything, then mix with other colors as needed, a real good book for reference is Waterfowl painting techniques by William Vesey, I'm at work so i dont have the book at hand , but i believe for a ringneck it is burnt umber mixed with a touch of mars black, Good luck
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Erik Olsen » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:16 pm

also paint all drakes its alot more visible. look at a guides spread and they all run way more drakes or all drakes.
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby jedisme » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:52 pm

12 drakes 4 hens. i appreciate the info. :thumbsup:
would it be wise to paint the whole decoy with burnt umber and black then, just paint the sides burnt umber?
jedisme
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:55 am

my diver spread is set as follows. i have my nice looking decoys on the outside and on my long lines. any where that the birds will be able to study them. the rest of my spread is black and whites. black and white are the two most visible colors to i try to have one or the other on all of my decoys. so its really however you want to do it they dont have to look altra real by the time they notice they are fake its too late
Erik Olsen
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting