river hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

river hunting

Postby redneck12350 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 pm

hi yall i have never hunted a river before but i would like to start. i live in south east wisconsin and the river is 30 feet wide and where i am max 4 feet deep. does anybody have any tips or could get me started or brief me? I dont know anything about river hunting but i do a ton of pond hunting so i need help.
thank you.
redneck12350
hunter

Re: river hunting

Postby Tealer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I call that a creek, hunt the shore lines and wade carefully. You may want to use a boat/canoe just in case the current is to quick.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 pm

What are you hunting? Puddler? Diver?

How many birds a day do you expect to see? Do the birds run up and down the river as a flyway? Do they loaf on the river? Do they fly across the river at multiple points or one main point between feeding and loafing areas?

You need to spend part of each hunting day scouting to find out where the birds are loafing or resting on the river. You also need to watch and see if there are areas where lots of birds are crossing it or flying along it. Look for choke points as well. Rivers or creeks in this case can be very productive hunting areas.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Bends can be your friend. Find some bends with shallower water on the inside and put some dekes there, might be good for a few fullbodies on a small sandy shoreline. How much currrent? Lots of variables to find out about. Like scauphunter stated, a little scouting should answer most if not all of your questions.

I was thinking more along the lines of puddlers, sorry about that. I don't hunt divers on small water like that. Again, scouting will tell you where they're flying and where they'll most likely want to sit and loaf awhile. Hunt there!! :thumbsup:
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Tealer wrote:I call that a creek, hunt the shore lines and wade carefully. You may want to use a boat/canoe just in case the current is to quick.

I second that. We call those creeks here. Usually hold ducks early and then at ice-up.
BBK
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Scout the river. When you jump a good number of ducks set up there. They are there for a reason, most likely food. Not trying to be a smart-a. It's as easy as that.
Feathers
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting