diver dekes

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

diver dekes

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:00 am

okay guys im kinda new to waterfowling (like 3 years now) and i want to get into divers... what do i need for dekes 1 dozen 4 dozen ?? how many and do i get buffie dekes or red heads or golden eye.... rig them all on the same line or no????

the kid
SouthPaw
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Re: diver dekes

Postby eagles2069 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 am

What ducks do you see in your area? Get those! In my area there are a lot of Buffies, Redheads, and Goldeneyes so I have more of them then any other. I think right now I have around 10 dozen divers and probably still on the small side for spread. That being said you can kill divers with just a handful. If you have old cheap decoys just repaint them. It's a super easy project to do. Do a search there are a lot of threads about repaints.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 am

I know of guys who hunt over 4 or fewer decoys and kill birds. I have hunted over 8 blue bills and hammered limits. Big numbers of decoys are not always the answer. Get a good mix of the birds you see and keep the GE's seperated from the rest of your decoys.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Like the other fellas get what birds you have in your area. Can't go wrong with cans and bills. But if you do go that route get a couple buffie and a couple eyes to set off to the side. Those two species seem to be the most finicky on wanting to decoy to there own species, not always but more so than bills, cans and redheads.

12-18 deeks will do just fine and then if ya get the itch add from there. Small pod of feeders with a few strung out from it.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 am

Personally, I look for decoys that show up from long distances without regard to what birds are actually in the area. LOTS of white and black. People kill ducks over jugs painted black every year and people used to make goose decoys out of tires cut in half....so you can't tell me that birds pay much attention to the colors or shapes. The key is being where they want to be or at least somewhere close. If you can do that then you don't even really need decoys most of the time.
My advice is find some cheap mallard decoys and paint them as you like. (check craigslist) Honestly, 3 dozen is the most you would need to get started, because if you love it you will never have enough and before you know it decoys will be EVERYWHERE. Buy at least 1 dozen and go from there.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:29 pm

okay so lets say i go with ike 18 cans and bills do i string them in a line or no? and the buffs and GEs lines or pods? ive heard diver like lines idk if theres any truth in this
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby slayer73 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:48 am

Long Lines are easy and fast to put out and they do like to follow them up to the pod. If the wind switches a longline is easier to reposition then individual decoys also, but that is for my style hunting. Others might say something different. I put my GE's on their own long line on the outside of my spread about 5yds off of the outer line. Buffies I put on the inside closest to the blind. I also have my mallard decoys at the very head of all the divers. I have them for numbers. When I first started all I had was mallards and I had them individually weighted. I would set them in a line with the pod by the blind. I killed a lot of divers with just mallard dekes, divers aren't too fussy...except GE's. That is how I do it.
slayer73
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting