Swan deeks to help decoy ducks

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Swan deeks to help decoy ducks

Postby Whompus Cat » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:09 pm

i have read somewhere about using a few swans to help decoy ducks. I hunt a particular lake in North Carolina that holds both divers and puddlers. Mostly ringers, teal and a few bluebills and mallards. I have noticed the ringnecks arent decoying like they did a few weeks ago and they are pretty finicky. Has anyone used swans to help decoy ducks? I heard that with their long necks they can reach down further to get vegetation and it helps with ducks. Especially widgeons. What do you guys think? I have some goose floaters im going to paint white and I'm going to try it soon but i wantted someone elses input.
Whompus Cat
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Erik Olsen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:28 pm

i have used three of them for confidence in the past but we switched to using more diver decoys with some puddlers to the side when we are hunting a mixed bag.
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:14 am

ive heard it works pretty good for confidence decoy. probly for divers better because of all the white.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:39 am

can you hunt mute swans? if you can't you should.
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby REELBIGONES » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:09 pm

I ALSO LIVE IN NC AND USE THEM ON THE BIG WATER. IT SEEMS TO HELP. WHEN HUNTING DIVERS THEY WILL BE 3 TO THE SIDE OF MY SPREAD. :thumbsup:
REELBIGONES
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:49 am

We use a few swan dekes to the side of our diver spread when we are down east where swans frequent and it doesn't seem to hurt. Plus we get the occasional swan to come in which is fun to watch. It probably won't work too well on triangle or piedmont lakes as there are little or no swans there.
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting