River question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

River question

Postby whistlingwings » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum, and somewhat new to diver hunting. Just spent the last hour reading old posts, but still don't know the best way to approach hunting the savannah river in south carolina.

The past few years we've been seeing more and more divers, this year we see at least ten groups a day of 20-30, mostly ringnecks (i think). The problem is they're usually flying high and rarely come down, and if they do they'll land in the middle of the river, far out of range...we have a canoe so hunting open water isn't an option, usually just paddle out to an island and hunt off that. Any suggestions (calling, dek spreads) as to how I can get some of these divers take a look at us? Thanks, your help is much appreciated.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:32 am

If you have several islands to hunt and maybe some points on the shore line, some scouting is needed. Try and find where the birds are landing, whether it be for food or loafing. Divers tend to travel and raft in larger numbers than the puddle ducks, therefore larger numbers of decoys is a big help. If they are ringnecks, they will readily decoy to almost anything, especially reds and bluebill dekes. Try to keep the wind to one side or the other, rather than coming from your back, which would be perfered for mallards. Divers require a longer runway , and prefer it to be over water, thats why a crossing wind from behind will work best from a shore blind. Nothing beats being set up where the birds want to be, and that can change from day to day, and that's why scouting could be your answer. Good luck. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:54 pm

Yeah what Jim said :thumbsup:
Just want to add one-thing; divers don’t like land facing the shoreline they like to land into your spread facing open water. Now there are exceptions to every rule but you will have better luck setting your spread with this in mind. BTW :welcome: to DHC glad to have you with us, your what it's all about. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting