Let's talk layout boat decoys spreads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Let's talk layout boat decoys spreads

Postby LayedOut » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 pm

I know there are multiple threads, but I thought it would be a good idea to have one good one.

I wanna hear/see different setups, for different species, different times of the season or even location.

We typically do two lines on our right and 4-6 lines on our left. We fill in gaps and make groups with single throws. All our lines are mixed species.
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Re: Let's talk layout boat decoys spreads

Postby petie0427 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm

I usually run 6-8 lines for bills/reds and for squaw and scoter I run 2 lines. A line of scoter on the left and a line of squaw off the front anchor line.
petie0427
hunter

Postby LayedOut » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 am

When your running your scoter/old squawk lines have you had bluebills come in?
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby Smith » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 pm

I use 8 to 12 dozen decoys, depending on how long it's been since my last "decoy repair day". My goal is always the same; to set up a perfect rectangle, with evenly spaced rows having all the decoys lined up like a marching band. Instead, what with the wind and current, it always ends up looking more like an office chair, or a tow truck, or maybe a flying vee guitar. We put the layout boat right on the upwind edge, or even slightly into the rig, leaving a space for the tender to make a downwind escape. The good news is that it doesn't matter what shape the rig takes. If there are ducks around, they will come over and check it out. With the layout right in the rig, that's all it takes. They will often zoom right in to land near the boat, but even if they just do a flyby over the rig, we've got 'em. Just don't take the goofy fringe shots out past the edges; that's how you lose cripples. Divers can be tough to chase down on open water, especially when they get the head start of waiting for your tender to show up. Get 'em close.
Smith
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting