Diver hunting technigues

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver hunting technigues

Postby Puddler » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:01 pm

Does anyone have any good techniques on diver hunting. I occasionally get some on the lakes when they swing through my decoys but thats it
Puddler
hunter

Postby Anatidae » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:16 pm

Determine what kind of divers they are! Then go buy some diver decoys of that species. Keep them away from the puddle ducks, but in shooting range. You can start out with Greenhead Gear decoys. They are ultrarealistic and priced right.
Anatidae
hunter

Postby Jeepman:-) » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:15 pm

you can also just get like 6 and hook them in a gang rig (all in a line). Put the in the direction of flight and hook them into the other dekes. When the birds catch sight of the string they follow the curve of them and if they dont land on the edge of the dekes, you'll get a pass shot. As for the type, Bluebills, Goldeneye, Bufflehead, and most other divers will all come to other diver dekes. The only divers that are real spooky are the Cans.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby pj » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:18 pm

Strings work the best. remember that divers prefer to land ahead of ducks on the water. With puddlers this is opposite.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby it flies it dies » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:09 pm

I typically hunt in big water. However, my experience is that divers are usually pass shooting ducks. Unless you are hunting only diver ducks they usually just pass by for a look and keep on moving. So do not hesitate to shoot if they are in range.

I also agree with the string idea. That is the only way we hunt them. Do not mix them with your puddle dekes.

I would buy Blue Bill Dekes. They have always worked for all types of divers. I get Golden eyes, Buffal head, and Blue bills all decoying on Blue bill dekes. If you are seeing Cans then I would mix a few can dekes in as well. They are alittle more picky.

My advice pass shoot when they are in range. They are tough bastards to kill. If you break a wing make sure you shoot them as soon as they hit the water or they are going to dive and you will never see them again.

Hope that helped.
it flies it dies
Newb

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:41 pm

[quote]My advice pass shoot when they are in range. They are tough bastards to kill. If you break a wing make sure you shoot them as soon as they hit the water or they are going to dive and you will never see them again.
better yet shoot them on the way down :mrgreen:
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Master Duck » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:32 am

I too agree about long lining your divers and using blue bills as a staple diver decoy. Only thing I'd add is that in my experience I have found not only cans to be picky, but also goldeneyes, especially the drakes.
- Mike

MOmarsh Pro Staff
www.momarsh.com
Master Duck
hunter

greenhead decoys

Postby Rogue » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:35 am

save your money on Greenhead gear dekes, the paint doesn't last a season and you will be repainting and buying a different brand. Try G&H magnum dekes they are a little pricy but they last for years not a year. The plastic is harder than Greeenhead dekes and they are much easier to rig and stay rigged. Then find the species that are in your area, get those dekes and keep them separate from the mallards but close enough to you so you can shoot those fast little buggers. GOOD LUCK
Rogue
Newb

Postby big ben » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:44 pm

Ok itfliesitdies wrote don't mix with your puddle dekes, can you have them off to the side about 30 yards ? And i also read that divers land ahead of of your dekes ? So do you want your decoys closer to you ? And i heard swan decoys made good confidence decoys because they will eat the scraps the swan doesn't. PLZ help this confused soul. :oops:
big ben
hunter

Postby pitboss » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:04 am

agree on the long lines too....

they work!

jeff[/img]
pitboss
hunter

Postby Doctari » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:20 pm

Pitboss, it is always good to see your pics.

Stick with the longlines. If you are going to keep the majority of your spread puddle ducks, keep the divers to the offshore side of the spread with a good seperation from the others.
Doctari
account suspended for biz name useage

Return to Diver Duck Hunting