Decoy line, knots, and stuff

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Decoy line, knots, and stuff

Postby Abecks90 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47 am

Hey All,
I have recently adopted my dads old layout boat and setup which hasn't been used in probably 10 years. With that being said most of the leads for the decoys are braided decoy line and are semi rotten so I would like to retie all of his old decoys. I have read and decided to go with the 36" leads but I am still curious about what to go with for the decoy line material? Cost is always important so whats the most bang for the buck? What are the best knots? Crimps? Where do I find the materials? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Adam
Abecks90
hunter

Re: Decoy line, knots, and stuff

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 am

So, ... I also LL and have 36 inch droppers to my clips ... I use 550 paracord, Tie a cinch knot and also ... just in case something REALLY is dragging my LL ... I Gorilla Glue my knots. Works GREAT, and is a very inexpensive security feature that will save ya some time and headaches down the road, if your not confident in your tieing ability.

The 550 cord can be found on EBAY or a local sporting goods, or Ace Hardware store. Average is about .11 a foot.
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am

Might wanna check out this thread ... Alot of good tips. Topic has been discussed more than once, and a simple search brought up lots of info on the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175176
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 am

400# mono end of story.

Google it and you will find SNL corp they sell bundles of precut with crimps and tools for a very reasonable price.

Up side of mono your prop will cut it....if it doesnt it will wrap, however the line is to thick to cause damage to your lower unit like fishing line can.

I'd make sure you buy some gang clips from doctori long lines. A lot of guys like there long lines but I hate nylon lines. However I do have a few of the shorter lines that I use to break up the boxy shape of the long line set. I also run gang lines by rig'em right that are 150'. There like 20 bucks but they are great and will last.

There's a sticky on refuge forums that has a great break down of layout boat hunting for beginners. I'll get the link for you.
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... p?t=854463
I'm just like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it!- Joker

I'm not a monster; I just ahead of the curve!- Joker
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Abecks90 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for all of the information guys!
Abecks90
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Another vote for 400 lb mono. That and make sure to use 5 or 6 inch clips if you go that route. They are far easier to open with cold hands and gloves than 3 or 4 inch clips.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:55 pm

I use weed eater line and SS crimps for my droppers. Stuff is cheap and it is 100% mono. So far holding up well after 3 seasons. Like any monosun will degrade it, so I keep them in a plastic container during the off season. I started using 3 inch swivels on all my decoys too. That way I can change out lines in a few minutes if I want to use them as singles.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting