First Time Diver Hunter, Need Advice on Spread Shape

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

First Time Diver Hunter, Need Advice on Spread Shape

Postby joyfulsound866 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:16 pm

I am looking to go out on my first diver hunt soon and wondering what would be a good decoy setup. I'll be on a rocky point on a big lake. Aside from the wind direction being the biggest factor, what are some common setups for decoys. There are currently lots of mallards, teal, bluebill using the area. We will also get buffies, merganzers, and sometimes ringnecks and goldeneyes moving through. I plan on taking out a doz mallards, a doz bluebill and a 1/2 dozen buffies on single drop rigs. I would be able to longline, just need a line, as I have another doz bluebill decoys. Water depth is 2 feet and I'll be on shore in the brush and using my kayak as a tender. I'm thinking of making a larger group of bluebill furtherst from shore and the mallards closer with a small group of buffies and leaving a pocket for landing.

What are some shapes that work good? Any advice would be most helpful!! Thank you brothers!!
joyfulsound866
hunter

Re: First Time Diver Hunter, Need Advice on Spread Shape

Postby duckstruck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:47 am

Do a google search " Diver Decoy Spreads " then click on image so you just see the pics. there are plenty on there... too many for me to list. Good Luck with the hunt.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:59 pm

^ what he said,

But my favorite is a tight blob or two tight blobs and some long lines to direct traffic in.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Chet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:59 am

I agree. When hunting off of a point, I like to use a large 'J' shape with the curve of the J close to the blind and the leg extending out into the open water to lure them in.

Best,

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 pm

When hunting from shore I almost always do 3 long lines one right, one left and one straight out. __l__. Then I fill the center with singles to form a clump in the middle. As for wind I find that it really does not matter, they will land into the wind with no problem. Hunting from a point gives you a huge advantage because they will be able to come in one direction with the wind if they want. I also tend to place a few GE's and buffies by them selves away from other decoys. Wave a white trash bag around when they are a long ways away to get their attention, works amazing. Once they turn towards you, stop, sit down and get ready to shoot. Good luck, divers are addicting. :thumbsup:
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:29 pm

one line way out, cluster near shore with a sweet spot. mallard off to the side.

good luck, be careful wading. wear a vest.
ohioboy
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting