Bluebills flying outside

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Bluebills flying outside

Postby Northumberland » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm hunting from a shore blind on the north shore of Lake Ontario. I've been a bit frustrated watching bluebills trading and feeding along a zone probably half a mile out from shore.

I have to pack everything in a half mile on my back to a broad point I hunt on so I'm limited to two 75' gang lines. I put 12 bluebills on the inside line, and 6 buffs and 6 GE on the outside to draw birds. However I'm not getting any bluebills flying close (200-300 yards) enough to shore to decoy.

Conditions have been 40F, strong N-NW winds, rollers coming in from south breaking near shore).

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks very much for any insights or advice!

John
Northumberland
Newb

Re: Bluebills flying outside

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 pm

If they are acting like they are not seeing you wave a white trash bag to flag them in. Stop once they turn toward you
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:09 pm

I've seen guys use small checkered flags (like the kind you buy at a racetrack) for flagging divers.
BBK
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:27 pm

get some donuts at 7/11. save the bag.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Smith » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:26 am

I'm a little puzzled by your post. Are your decoys set up in breaking surf? If the wind is from the north wouldn't the north shore be the quiet side of the lake? Maybe you're on a point extending way out into the lake? Is there any chance you could hunt in a different location? I only tried hunting in a breaking surf one time. We got a couple of shots at birds swinging in, but it was far from an ideal setup; it was that or nothing.
Smith
hunter

Postby Northumberland » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Smith wrote:I'm a little puzzled by your post. Are your decoys set up in breaking surf? If the wind is from the north wouldn't the north shore be the quiet side of the lake? Maybe you're on a point extending way out into the lake? Is there any chance you could hunt in a different location? I only tried hunting in a breaking surf one time. We got a couple of shots at birds swinging in, but it was far from an ideal setup; it was that or nothing.

First thanks for the replies about flagging. I did try it from my blind Saturday morning but no success. The bluebills clearly did not want to be near shore. Everything was on a mission and didn't deviate. I'm also thinking the bulk of the lessers have moved on from this part of Lake Ontario. Hopefully greaters will come soon.

Smith, yes I thought the same thing... NW wind but the waves persisted from the south. Puzzling. Anyway, rarely does this north side seem to be calm, we very often have rollers breaking about 200 feet out and yes my dekes are riding the waves or rather crashing through them. It seems this is why the birds aren't wanting to hang out near shore. Still learning about shore hunting divers... On Saturday morning I got a mallard and two bufflehead so it sounds like success similar to yours in the surf situation. Some but not much. I'll try to find some other spots or wait for an off shore wind.

Thanks!
Northumberland
Newb

Postby Bob Caygeon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:00 am

Here is the hard truth. You will only kill Bluebill's with a strong South wind and blinding snowfall. This is from my experience on the south shore. Obviously here its a North wind. Your only good option is a layout boat in my opinion. You can kill bufflehead, goldeneye, mergansers, mallards, blacks near shore. Good luck.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting