Inspired by others on the forum who have performed gender change procedures on drake goldeneyes I took on creating a couple of hens as well. I started with Avery GHG oversize GE drakes. I purchased chocolate brown and grey primer Krylon. Just masked the appropriate spots with masking tape and painted. Then with the bodies, I used coarse steel wool on the grey paint about 5 minutes after application. The raised feather texturing lost paint quickest to the steel wool and gave the feather shading necessary. A yellow sharpie oil paint marker was used to color the bill and touch up the eyes a bit. Will probably scuff the heads with light sandpaper a bit as I could only find satin finish in the brown paint. Otherwise good to go.
Looking forward to hunting some whistlers on the L. Ontario shoreline!