Spread Question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Spread Question

Postby REB1136 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:19 pm

I will be hunting big bays they have a mixed bag of divers but we also have a ton of gadwals. I'm looking for some advice and information on how I should layout my spread. I plan on running my decoys on gang lines. I have 18 gadwal decoys, 12 bluebills, 12 ringnecks, 6 bufflehead, and I have 4 Canadian geese that I would like to add to my spread. Thank in advance for any help.
REB1136
Newb

Re: Spread Question

Postby Stish85 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:00 am

This is my experience where I hunt. I have found that keeping my divers and puddler separate works best. I usually put a good 20 to 30 yards between them.

Also I don't have many geese in my area so they are just a waste of time by me. The few times that I have seen geese the ducks don't go anywhere near them. So not much help on that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 am

I would split the spreads into divers and puddlers. Place your boat and spreads strategically so you can shoot easily over both parts of the spread. Always factor wind direction, landing holes, and boat placement when putting out your spread. I would also not be so worried a big space between the spreads. You can run your longlines out like the spokes of a wheel downwind from the boat or layouts. Run all the puddlers on one side and all the divers on the other side. Leave one line out of the spread in between the divers and the puddlers and you will kill a mix of ducks. If you do this keep your long lines shorter so the ducks land in shooting range.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby REB1136 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks for information everyone.
REB1136
Newb

Postby Stish85 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Another thing to try is if you are hunting where there are lots of puddlers is to just use a puddler spread. I have shot countless divers over all puddler spreads. A lot of divers seem to decoy readily to puddlers but I have found puddlers won't decoy as readily to divers. Just try different things eventually you will find what works

Stish85
hunter

Postby REB1136 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:59 pm

There is not a lot of other puddlers just gadwalls and a good mixture of divers. Oh yea and a ton of coots.
REB1136
Newb

Postby Stish85 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:00 am

REB1136 wrote:There is not a lot of other puddlers just gadwalls and a good mixture of divers. Oh yea and a ton of coots.

Right but you said there are a ton of them. Either way if one thing is not working don't be afraid to change it up. If I don't have the first few flocks come in like I want I change something. There is no sense watching flocks fly by all day hoping what you are doing will eventually work. Be proactive about it.

Stish85
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting