Mackinac Duck Hoards.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Mackinac Duck Hoards.

Postby J.Morse » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 am

I and my Bride crossed the bridge on Thursday early afternoon. The wind was howling and the Straights were really rough. As a result of the hard west wind, the only protected area was the lee of the north causeway (un-suspended) part of the bridge. There were uncountable 1000's of ducks grouped up along the bridge. The vast majority were Redheads, but I was able to spot a few Canvasbacks and others mixed in with the Redheads. We payed our toll, then pulled around behind the Bridge Authority building to gawk at the birds awhile. It was unbelievable. Did any of the rest of you folks happen to see that on your way north to deer/wolf hunt? p.s.The bridge I'm speaking of is the Mackinac Bridge that joins Michigan's two peninsulas.
J.Morse
Newb

Re: Mackinac Duck Hoards.

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:05 pm

You arnt kidding my buddies and I saw the same thing. Right up next to the road to 1/2 mile out prob 10,000 divers rafted up. We wished the UP was still open
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:22 am

That was a great use of a split.....(rolls eyes)
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:02 am

your avatar is scary
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 pm

The split is meant to provide a bird sanctuary, not to make hunting better.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks!! I'll keep that in mind
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 pm

I think it was wonderful to be able to observe all those birds. I probably took 100 pics of them. With that many in one place almost seems like it would be like shooting fish in a barrel not much sport to it. As sportsmen we need to look at how non hunters would view us shooting those ducks.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting