Painting Female Buffies

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Painting Female Buffies

Postby Okie Ducker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am

I would like to paint up 2 or 3 of my drake buffies into females. What colors would you recommend?......Thanks.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Re: Painting Female Buffies

Postby Labs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 pm

No offense, but use the colors of a hen buffie.... :rolleyes:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks for that in depth answer. :thumbsup: I was maybe hoping for some advise on specific colors to use . The photos I've seen of actual photos of live ducks and decoys shows a variety of tones of grey, black, and even brown on the dark part of the body.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Just use black and put the little white patch on their face. It would be cool to put a bark brown, but black will work just fine.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 pm

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=170731

I've done around 2 dozen following this same concept. I got 2 dozen more on the way which will be coot, a couple bufflehead, goldeneye, and maybe some more canvasbacks. I'll also mention that I ONLY have drake buffleheads in my diver spread and they attract all buffleheads and other divers. All of mine are repaints from cheap decoys I have acquired as well so detail doesn't matter.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Okie Ducker wrote:Thanks for that in depth answer. :thumbsup: I was maybe hoping for some advise on specific colors to use . The photos I've seen of actual photos of live ducks and decoys shows a variety of tones of grey, black, and even brown on the dark part of the body.

I'm quite sure the ducks don't really care....apparently, neither does GHG, since they only send you the drakes. Waste of time IMHO, but, to each their own. PS, if you can't get buffies to decoy, its not your decoys...its your set up... :wink:
Labs
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:32 pm

I only see a handful of drake Buffies where I hunt. So I wanted to try and maximize the opportunity if one should cross my path. I've read other threads where people had success using some or even all female buffie decoys. Last season I got 1 female Buffie and knocked down 1 drake but it got up and headed out to rough deeper water. I see a few passing by but most keep their distance. I would like to get 1 nice drake for my wall collection. Any recommendations on spread set up? I've got some Bluebills, Redheads, and Canvasback decoys for my diver collection. I've heard some say use only Bufflehead decoys only.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:32 pm

This passed weekend, I had goldeneye, canvasback, scaup, and buffleheads land in my setup. My setup was a little smaller, and I was hunting off of the dike. I sat up my buffleheads in a straight line. Right in the center of the line, I stuck some coot decoys in a group. Then I mixed 6 redhead decoys and had them stagger with the line of buffleheads. At the end of the line, I sat my 6 canvasback drake decoys. Everything that landed went right in the middle where I had put my group of coots because of the wind direction. In a normal setting, they would fly down the line and land at the end with the canvasbacks. I normally don't change much because this has worked so well for me. We ended the day with a scaup, 3 buffies, 4 canvasbacks, and a goldeneye. That was just out of our diver spread. My divers and coot are all repaints and lack a lot of detail. But they work. So no need to spend a ton of time painting them.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 am

Okie,

If you send me a couple of google map pics, (I live in MN, so I won't be stealing your spot...or zoom them in, so the lake is not mentioned) I would be glad to show you how to set up your spread....I use a mixed spread of puddlers and divers...has been very successful for us..

email is shawn_0492@yahoo.com

The buffie and the big goldeneye are going on the wall...

Labs
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Avatar......Nice looking photo! I usually set up on a slightly rounded point facing towards the South or Southeast with either a North or Northwest wind at my back. This point borders the main body of the lake on my left and a large cove/bay on my right that's several hundred yards wide at the mouth and approx. 1/2 mile to the back end. I've observed various divers flying off the main part of the lake and into the cove/bay or vice versa. I set up with the intentions of attracting some of the fly-byers into my spread.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby MarkNY » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Raw umber, medium gray, white, black... darken the raw umber with black for the back, rump and tail feathers...
MarkNY
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 am

It cut off my legend....white = Buffie decoys....Yellow is the divers, blue is the mixed puddlers. I set out 1 doz buffies, 2 doz divers, and about 2 doz puddlers....

I have hunted this spot with only 2 buffies and about a dozen divers and about 6 puddlers...in this configuration and pull in divers and puddlers....I don't think it's the numbers, and it certainly isn't the paint job... :wink:
Labs
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks MarkNY and Labs for your input. Sorry I was so late responding. Been busy during the holidays.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting