Duck ID-Seaduck?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby joemc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:21 pm

oh its brown color and a duck it can only be the ruddy duck :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but seriously not a ruddy at all not even close that green wing looks more like a ruddy, I don't even see how ruddy even got thrown in :fingerhead:
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm
Location: east of th mississippi, west of the chesepeake


Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby hawgripper » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 pm

I would have to say an immature ruddy duck, I have shot a few over the years.

The beek doesn't come out of his forhead like scoter's
Attachments
ruddy duck.jpg
ruddy duck.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
hawgripper
hunter
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby joemc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:15 pm

I can 100% identify this duck as a immature hen black scoter, because the hen ruddy has a brown line coming straight off its jaw and the scoter dosent also the bill shape is all wrong also a ruddy is a very small duck, definitely a scoter... THE END. :thumbsup:
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm
Location: east of th mississippi, west of the chesepeake

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby high flyer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm

keith96 wrote:Not a scoter that birds brown and has slight white on the head i kno for a fact its a immiture hen ruddy the tail on it gives it away for sure also the body to small to be a scoter ik for a fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes.

Well you know what they say, those that can do and those that can't teach. Still not a ruddy and I know this for fact because I hunt Currituck sound where ruddys are king. Well that and I know how to tell ducks apart.
high flyer
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby trigger22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:21 am

Hen scoter...... Here's a picture with both in it at the same time for comparison Image
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
User avatar
trigger22
hunter
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby JinAK » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 pm

keith96 wrote:Not a scoter that birds brown and has slight white on the head i kno for a fact its a immiture hen ruddy the tail on it gives it away for sure also the body to small to be a scoter ik for a fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes.

:lol: it's obvious some members on here have attended your class! Hen scoter, one of the brown ones! :lol3:
JinAK
hunter
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Carteret County, NC

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 pm

JinAK wrote:
keith96 wrote:Not a scoter that birds brown and has slight white on the head i kno for a fact its a immiture hen ruddy the tail on it gives it away for sure also the body to small to be a scoter ik for a fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes.

:lol: it's obvious some members on here have attended your class! Hen scoter, one of the brown ones! :lol3:


I got a chuckle out of that one. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am

Either a lot of you guys are idiots, or a lot of you guys are just joking, but based on your responses, I would say that you're just uneducated and never have seen a hen black scoter in your entire lives. I can say without a shadow of doubt, 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% positive, that this is a hen black scoter. And it's not even hard to identify. And some of the ones that have misidentified this bird in their posts have also been guilty of bashing others for making posts about "if you don't know what it is before you pull the trigger then you shouldn't shoot it" :clapping: :fingerhead: Kind of funny!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby jehler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:49 am

Hen black scoter
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17278
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:45 am

keith96 wrote:Not a scoter that birds brown and has slight white on the head i kno for a fact its a immiture hen ruddy the tail on it gives it away for sure also the body to small to be a scoter ik for a fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes instead of going to english and grammar class.

FIFY
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby finfeathr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Absolutely 100% black [common] scoter. Immature birds have a brown coloration to them.
A ruddy's bill is stouter, rounder, and a different color than a scoter's bill.
The head markings are different too..
The ruddy is smaller.
Don't know what you guys are saying about the tail, cause it says scoter all the way.
finfeathr
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby loon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 pm

The hen Rudy has two stripes on its face the hen scoter has a two-tone darker upper and lighter lower I am really surprised and embarrassed for all you that continue to say ruddy it's frightening actually buy a book or go to a zoo. Keith can you honestly look at all those photos posted and still say it's a Ruddy ?? Really?
loon
hunter
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:48 pm
Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:12 pm

fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes
I'm sorry to hear that...and feel even worse for your "students"

common sea chicken
Deuce N Ducks
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:42 am

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby Parkerswaterfowl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Let this one keep goin haha it's gettin better all the time.......ruddy duck c'mon really
Parkerswaterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Outer Banks NC

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:12 am

It's obviously a drake eurasian wigeon.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin
 
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby jehler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:36 am

Deuce N Ducks wrote:
fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes
I'm sorry to hear that...and feel even worse for your "students"

common sea chicken

Never heard "sea chicken" before, you must be from down south or something
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17278
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby seeduk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Hen common scoter , some folks call them black scoters. Shot many of them up north! Shot ruddies too, this is NOT a ruddi .
seeduk
hunter
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby blackrock » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm going with fulvous whistling duck, shot a merganser in college and fed it to a drunk guy, told him it was a fulvous whistler.......
blackrock
hunter
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm

It looks like a mallard mixed with a specklebelly with a tad of baikal teal
Honk-n-quack
hunter
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 am
Location: Eugene Oregon

Re: Duck ID-Seaduck?

Postby BBK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:30 pm

keith96 wrote:Not a scoter that birds brown and has slight white on the head i kno for a fact its a immiture hen ruddy the tail on it gives it away for sure also the body to small to be a scoter ik for a fact becuse one iv sat and helped teach many waterfowl id classes.


God I hope not! I hope you're just a kid that said that to try and prove your point! If you do teach classes, then I bet your local game warden loves you! You're seeding his job security for a lifetime!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter
 
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rendy and 3 guests