Canvasback help

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Canvasback help

Postby diverduckduster » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:05 am

Hey guys/gals, I live on a big lake in northern CA. I hunt mallards, teal, and wigeon early in the day and about 10 am the birds sit and quit flying. Except the divers. I see flocks of buffleheads, canvasbacks, and a few other species. My question is, do I need a big diver decoy spread to bring them in close enough for a shot? Or can I put out two cans, two ring necks, and two buffie decoys out and be successful? I hunt from a kayak wich makes it easy to move from spot to spot stealthy. I'm going to order a combo 6 pack diver decoys if that would work. Oh yeah never mind my forum name for now, maybe with a little diver info I will be dusting diver ducks. :lol3:
diverduckduster
hunter

Re: Canvasback help

Postby Teamsavage » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I hunt Clearlake and I put out about a half dozen cans and ringnecks. I've used a half dozen cans before and had them come in all day long.
Teamsavage
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 am

Yeah that's where I'm hunting. I usually see them in big groups by adobe creek and tule pt area. Thanks for the advice and info. See you on the lake. I will be in a tan kayak
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby Teamsavage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for you I but mainly hunt over by rodman. We've shot a few over there already, just waiting for the peak migration to show up. Good luck out there.
Teamsavage
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 pm

You too,thanks again :beer:
diverduckduster
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting