Sea Ducks

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Sea Ducks

Postby star882 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Does anyone have advice on sea duck hunting. I have done most my hunting on land and a little in the slews over the last few years. I have a wide range of decoys and i have gotten long lines figure out, and just recently got a new boat 17 1/2' sled. It has a grass pop up blind that camo's out very well. Mostly im trying to figure out about how deep of water i should be in and about how far off from land i should be. Also does the grass blind stand out in the water when there is no land around or is that ok? I would like to focus on Scoters, blue bill, goldeneye and would love a harlequin. Any advice would help.
star882
hunter

Re: Sea Ducks

Postby Major Woods » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Spend some time scouting and see where the feeding, resting and flight paths are located.
Set decoys in one of those areas, good luck.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby star882 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Thank you for the advice. Going to do some scouting/hunting the next couple weekends.
star882
hunter

Postby berettaarms92 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:46 pm

star882 wrote:Also does the grass blind stand out in the water when there is no land around or is that ok? I would like to focus on Scoters, blue bill, goldeneye and would love a harlequin. Any advice would help.

I live in eastern nc and before I got my newest boat last year we were killing scoters out of my bright white 20' c hawk. They are some of the dumbest birds there are.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
berettaarms92
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm

I've shot seaducks on the coast of NC as well. Even shot teal and scoters one morning. I think the only duck dumber than a scoter is a teal. Actually, all early season ducks are nieve. By January all of the dumb one's are dead.

Most divers eat molluscs these days (small clams and such) so find a shoal away from shore that has clams and you should do well on scoters, bluebills, and redheads. Well, except seaducks don't eat corn. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Halftail » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Up Here in NS we hunt Migrating Scoter and Eider.We set up in anchored outboard boats off of Points that stick out in the atlantic.or in areas where we know them to be Beded.Scoters can be stupid yes but in my mind hunting from a 14 ft boat in choppy or rough seas is challenge enough....like any other duck hunting some days they toll some days not so much.
Halftail
Newb

Postby CCC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:34 pm

We hunt Scoter and Oldsquaw from a 23' Grady (a big white boat), on Chesapeake Bay. We put out oldsquaw, canvasback and scoter (cheap mallards painted black) on long lines, about 12-15 per long line. As long as we sit still and setup in the vicinity of the birds, usually in about 10 ft of water, we get decent shooting. I am working on a theory that the birds are feeding on top of oyster beds but haven't quite nailed that one down yet.
CCC
Newb

Return to Diver Duck Hunting