Do cans decoy?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Do cans decoy?

Postby diverduckduster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Ok so i went hunting this morning and didn't pull the trigger. Two mallards landed into my decoys 4 minuets prior to shooting time, and of course flew off 2 minuets later. No puddle ducks were flying. I notice big flocks of cans flying out in the open water. When I was paddling back to my truck I jumped 3 big flocks whith about 20 birds each. My question is will they come into a half dozen can decoys along with a few buffle and ringneck decoys? I ordered a half dozen of canvasbacks from cabelas and I painted a bunch of old mallards into ringnecks, or do I break the bank and order more cans? :help:
diverduckduster
hunter

Re: Do cans decoy?

Postby Labs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Cans are the dumbest duck there is...ever wonder why they almost became extinct? They are the reason we have a 3 shot limit on our shotguns....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm

You don't even need to hide. All you need is maybe 6 decoys.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I was picking up decoys one morning and had my boat blind in the middle of my spread with my black lab sitting on the deck....a can came in and landed in the decoys...my lab jumped off the deck, and gave chase...I called the dog back, got her in the boat, and the can came swimming back into the diver decoys...dumbest-duck-ever....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Lol sounds like my kind of duck. Cool thanks for the advice fellas, I will give it a go
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:08 pm

diverduckduster wrote:Lol sounds like my kind of duck. Cool thanks for the advice fellas, I will give it a go

Trust me, you will feel like a pro decoy setter once you land them all day. I painted all of my can decoys. I thought I should open a decoy business when flocks of them landed and fell asleep in my decoys. But I discovered that it wasn't too special :sad:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Around here they will decoy to mallard spreads in back water mallard pockets, especially new birds.

Two of my best can shoots this year was shot over a mallard spread. They work the decoys nice often making 3 to 4 passes, and for some reason they work a mallard call pretty well around these parts. They as well as most divers, from what I see around here, decoy to the top of the spread, so position yourself there for the best shots.

I would run them divers you speak of and some mallards.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Great info guys really appreciate it. I will try it out on Sunday morning :beer:
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:51 pm

I had a pair fly by, I shot the drake and the hen turned around and landed right next to the dead drake. Cans are dumb
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:43 pm

After reading these posts it would seem the lowly Buffy is sharper than a Can. :smile:
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 am

MOSSBERG935 wrote:I had a pair fly by, I shot the drake and the hen turned around and landed right next to the dead drake. Cans are dumb

And I thought GWT were kinda dumb.
Echospartan
hunter

Postby Hunter MN » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 am

I had a hen canvasback sit in my decoy spread for ten minutes. It flew in and landed, i whistled trying to get it to jump, it didn't. So I waded out to it and it still wouldn't jump, while I was walking to it i had a drake can fly over i shot twice and missed the bird still didn't get up! I went back to the bank and even through rocks at it and it still didn't fly! :lol3: :lol3: Should have no problem getting them to decoy! Good Luck :beer: :beer:
Hunter MN
hunter

Postby Nutt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:23 pm

H
Nutt
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Hunter mn

You sure that wasn't a decoy? Lol Jk :-P
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Cans remind me of blue-winged teal when it comes to decoying. They come straight in or fly right on by.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting