Duck Hunting Forum banner

Do cans decoy?

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  DuckinFool 
#1 ·
Ok so i went hunting this morning and didn't pull the trigger. Two mallards landed into my decoys 4 minuets prior to shooting time, and of course flew off 2 minuets later. No puddle ducks were flying. I notice big flocks of cans flying out in the open water. When I was paddling back to my truck I jumped 3 big flocks whith about 20 birds each. My question is will they come into a half dozen can decoys along with a few buffle and ringneck decoys? I ordered a half dozen of canvasbacks from cabelas and I painted a bunch of old mallards into ringnecks, or do I break the bank and order more cans? :help:

#4 ·
I was picking up decoys one morning and had my boat blind in the middle of my spread with my black lab sitting on the deck....a can came in and landed in the decoys...my lab jumped off the deck, and gave chase...I called the dog back, got her in the boat, and the can came swimming back into the diver decoys...dumbest-duck-ever....

#6 ·
diverduckduster said:
Lol sounds like my kind of duck. Cool thanks for the advice fellas, I will give it a go
Trust me, you will feel like a pro decoy setter once you land them all day. I painted all of my can decoys. I thought I should open a decoy business when flocks of them landed and fell asleep in my decoys. But I discovered that it wasn't too special :sad:

#7 ·
Around here they will decoy to mallard spreads in back water mallard pockets, especially new birds.

Two of my best can shoots this year was shot over a mallard spread. They work the decoys nice often making 3 to 4 passes, and for some reason they work a mallard call pretty well around these parts. They as well as most divers, from what I see around here, decoy to the top of the spread, so position yourself there for the best shots.

I would run them divers you speak of and some mallards.

#12 ·
I had a hen canvasback sit in my decoy spread for ten minutes. It flew in and landed, i whistled trying to get it to jump, it didn't. So I waded out to it and it still wouldn't jump, while I was walking to it i had a drake can fly over i shot twice and missed the bird still didn't get up! I went back to the bank and even through rocks at it and it still didn't fly! :lol3: :lol3: Should have no problem getting them to decoy! Good Luck :beer: :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.