Fun diver hunt

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Fun diver hunt

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 pm

http://youtu.be/Wloc1v2jLOQ

Fun diver hunt on Lake Erie.
Last edited by youngoilguy on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Re: Fun diver hunt

Postby blackrock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:03 pm

You guys going to eat all those fish ducks?
blackrock
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Yard Jarts anyone? Where are the two plastic rings?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:06 pm

I did not know people target mergansers. I just thought they were there for slow days. That said I would like to see a drake In hand sometime.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby youngoilguy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:31 am

WSUWESTON wrote:I did not know people target mergansers. I just thought they were there for slow days. That said I would like to see a drake In hand sometime.

O yes, people target them when looking for a fun shoot, as you can see from the above photo. I too am looking for a nice drake but it's a little early and they still had some grey mixed in with the green on their heads. The buffies unfortunately skirted our spread and I did not see the group of redheads I had seen while scouting.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:27 pm

WSUWESTON wrote:I did not know people target mergansers. I just thought they were there for slow days. That said I would like to see a drake In hand sometime.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386451641.804274.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby trigger_finger » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 am

nice mallards!
"I like dogs, I just don't think they are very practical for waterfowl hunting." -Bill Herian
trigger_finger
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I dont know where the hunters get the misconception that all divers are not worthy to eat?
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Each to his own but here in Wisconsin we just call that Target Practice :lol3: :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:38 pm

I didn't say anything about all divers, we eat all the ducks we shoot including Buffleheads, Goldeneyes and Redheads. I know mergansers taste terrible though (fed one to a drunk guy in college!) and I was questioning whether these guys were going to eat 15-18 fish ducks. As waterfowl hunters I think we should eat what we kill, that's why I don't shoot mergansers. Shooting a nice drake merganser for a mount is different, wasting a whole truckload of ducks does not seem to make for ethical hunting. Just my opinion.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:41 pm

My dog loves bbq'd mergansers :thumbsup:
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby LeakyBoot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Here in PA the waterfowl regulations come with this warning.
You wouldn't catch me eating any Mergansers!

WATERFOWL CONSUMPTION ADVISORY: In a recent Pennsylvania Game Commission study of Lake Erie waterfowl, contaminants such as PCBs, DDE, and mercury were found in all mergansers tested, as well as in some buffleheads. These contaminants may also be present in other Pennsylvania waterbodies and contaminated waterfowl could migrate to other areas of the Commonwealth. To avoid potential health impacts, the Game Commission offers the following advice on waterfowl consumption, applicable statewide: 1.) Mergansers should not be eaten; 2.) Other diving ducks if properly prepared should be eaten only occasionally; and 3.) Dabbling ducks and geese can be eaten safely if properly prepared. Proper preparation includes skinning and removing the fat before cooking; cooking to an internal temperature of 165 F as determined by a meat thermometer; and discarding the stuffing (if prepared in this manner) after cooking.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Not sure how many mergies migrate from PA or surrounding make areas, but I've never had any issues. Same goes for all divers.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:15 pm

we cut the mergs into thin strips and throw in the dehydrator and make jerky treats for the dogs.. they love it. if we didn't do that we wouldn't shoot them I refuse to shoot something just to throw it away.sure saves money on good dog treats
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:49 am

You really shouldn't feed your dog any Mergansers. Read the link below before you subject any animal to the effects of PCBs etc.

"In summary, PCBs have been demonstrated to cause a variety of serious health effects. They have been shown to cause cancer and a number of serious non-cancer health effects in animals, including effects on the immune system, reproductive system, nervous system, and endocrine system. Studies in humans provide supportive evidence for the potential carcinogenicity and non-carcinogenic effects of PCBs. In addition, the different health effects of PCBs may be interrelated, as alterations in one system may have significant implications for the other regulatory systems of the body."

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/1373290/30004f-12z_pdf
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby Fatback » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:59 am

I wouldn't eat any fish from that area then!

Sent from the smoker
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm

I think all these posts emphasize my point. Why shoot ducks you can't or shouldn't eat or feed to your dog? It's not that hard to go scouting, find some grain fed ducks that are edible. If those don't exist back there, then I feel sorry or you guys that live in the industrial wasteland..........
blackrock
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Expensive duck in the video clip!
Northcoast
hunter

Postby OpenWater » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:54 am

Looks like you got some new training dummy's for the dog.
OpenWater
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Northcoast wrote:Expensive duck in the video clip!

Goodness gracious thats some waterswatting!

soooooo........ wheres the divers?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:02 pm

My buddy works with some Hispanic guys that eat all our divers. I shoot whatever I fell like shooting. It all gets eaten a I have no problem with it. Helps the fish population too.
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:27 am

Or maybe y'all should just learn how to cook?
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby slickerhater » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 am

where are the divers?
slickerhater
hunter

Postby MDF » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:45 pm

LMFAO :lol3:

Duck Dynasty made duck hunting trendy.....fish ducks are in for it.
MDF
Newb

Postby loon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:53 pm

I still can't believe how many people say that mergansers taste bad I used to believe that 10 years ago, when I accidentally shot a hooded merganser thinking it was a Bufflehead. Because we like to eat what we kill we cooked it with the rest of the ducks and didn't keep track of which one it was when we ate them nobody thought they got the merganser the other ducks were bluebills ringnecks and redheads. While I don't specifically target them or Scout for them when one comes in I always shoot. For recipes I usually just use the ones in the DU magazine Scott Layseth is an amazing chef!!!! Now after 10 years of shooting them I'm still waiting for my first one that taste fishy in fact I'm waiting for the first one that I can tell apart from the" good divers "such as bluebills redheads and canvasbacks, maybe I have found a rare strain of Merganzer that likes to eat corn? . I guess I should thank you guys for passing them by that just means there's more for me. Plus in Wisconsin at least mergansers don't count against your duck bag limit. Don't always believe what you read ! shoot one and clean and cook it properly you may be surprised
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting