Fun diver hunt

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Fun diver hunt

Postby lbhansford » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 am

loon wrote:I still can't believe how many people say that mergansers taste bad I used to believe that 10 years ago, when I accidentally shot a hooded merganser thinking it was a Bufflehead. Because we like to eat what we kill we cooked it with the rest of the ducks and didn't keep track of which one it was when we ate them nobody thought they got the merganser the other ducks were bluebills ringnecks and redheads. While I don't specifically target them or Scout for them when one comes in I always shoot. For recipes I usually just use the ones in the DU magazine Scott Layseth is an amazing chef!!!! Now after 10 years of shooting them I'm still waiting for my first one that taste fishy in fact I'm waiting for the first one that I can tell apart from the" good divers "such as bluebills redheads and canvasbacks, maybe I have found a rare strain of Merganzer that likes to eat corn? . I guess I should thank you guys for passing them by that just means there's more for me. Plus in Wisconsin at least mergansers don't count against your duck bag limit. Don't always believe what you read ! shoot one and clean and cook it properly you may be surprised

down here on the chesapeake bay, they eat a diet of mud minnows and finger mullet.... they taste worst than fish...ruined a whole pot of duck and buck stew. My father thought it was some kind of fishy tasting liver. We still shoot the drake hoodies for their feathers for fly tying and freeze the bird to train with. as for eating, you can have that. I will stick to cans, teal, woodies, and black ducks. I

Had a friend that shot one last year. when the dog dropped it in the blind corn fell out of its mouth so somebody within a few miles had been baiting and this bird was gorging on it. we promptly shook any corn out of it we could and kept the bird as my friend wanted to try it. told me it tasted like any other puddler. I think it just depends on diet.
lbhansford
hunter

Re: Fun diver hunt

Postby Stish85 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I just grind my fish ducks and coot up and throw them in with the rest of the sausage meat, best way to use them up imho.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Previous

Return to Diver Duck Hunting