layout in a jonboat

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

layout in a jonboat

Postby lbhansford » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 am

So finally decided what the hell and tried to hunt divers out in the open out of a 16ft jonboat. Set out 75 diver decoys and and then went to shore grabbed up some of the local bushing, stuck it anywhere i could wedge it all over the boat and sat in the floor with a grass mat in our laps.

only saw two flocks of divers but they both decoyed from a half a mile away and dumped into the decoys like we werent even there. managed a pretty drake can and a bluebill.

must have looked like a little island or something. beats towing a layout boat out there.
Attachments
can.jpg
canblue.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Re: layout in a jonboat

Postby jimmyscott » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:58 pm

lbhansford wrote:So finally decided what the hell and tried to hunt divers out in the open out of a 16ft jonboat. Set out 75 diver decoys and and then went to shore grabbed up some of the local bushing, stuck it anywhere i could wedge it all over the boat and sat in the floor with a grass mat in our laps.

only saw two flocks of divers but they both decoyed from a half a mile away and dumped into the decoys like we werent even there. managed a pretty drake can and a bluebill.

must have looked like a little island or something. beats towing a layout boat out there.

Nice!
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Nice! Im planning on using my otter stealth 1200 as a layout boat next year. I think it will work cant wait :grooving:
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby Krete » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Sweet! Nice Bull Can.

duck_dynasty wrote:Nice! Im planning on using my otter stealth 1200 as a layout boat next year. I think it will work cant wait :grooving:

I would be very careful with a marsh boat like that in open water. Winds can kick up real quick, and you can find yourself in the drink real fast in something like that with even a bit of chop. I've layout hunted in some pretty rough weather, and believe me, even in a boat designed to handle 4' chop, it's not the most comfortable of things.

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting