Duck Hunting Forum banner

Bankes layout boat or homemade layout?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ScaupHunter 
#1 ·
Hey guys been looking at getting a layout boat for next season as WI just opened up a few more lakes to open water hunt. Ive been looking at bankes pumpkinseed and really like it a lot. but then ive also been seeing guys converting sail boats into them. Just looking for some opinions on the conversion. If its safe, worth the time, and worth the effort. Im not hunting any huge lakes but can get 2-3 foot rollers. Heres a sail boat i found on CL. let me know what ya think http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/4229241488.html

#5 ·
Well if your gunning divers then profile isn't a huge deal. However the lower and harder to see the layout is the more chances you will have at birds.

You have to look at a couple of things: one being how will you get the boat to your lake? Can you easily pull it on board with you in the tender? How sea worthy etc.

I've never built one and or don't have the skills needed. However I do layout hunt A LOT. I looked at it as a long term purchase that will last me 10 or more years. I factored in safety as well as productivity. I bought a used UFO great big water boat, from the sounds of what you hunting both the banks and UFO will be to big for your waters (they will work and you will be safe but they at not be the best choice).

Low profile is key for both puddle ducks and divers (however that doesn't mean that you have to fit in a 8' long layout to be wildly successful on puddle ducks. Pretty common theory around my area). Keep that in the back of your mind when your doing this. You can always stand up a tall spray shield if it's getting rough. I'd check out some different companies, go to trade shows in your area and sit in a few. Figure out what you like and go from there. If money is tight there are some great deals to be had for like new layout boats for 1000 or less.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

#6 ·
You will have about 4-500 in building one on your own with wood and fiberglass and you can buy plans from UFO layouts.You will also have the ability to make it customized for yourself if you build your own.I have built 4 boats on my own and would never spend the money that they get for a factory jobber. Banks builds a good boat but there is nothing like the thrill of shooting Bills from a boat you made........ :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Not a Bankes fan. A friend has a couple of them and they are tippy IMO when it comes to getting in and out of it. I thought I was gonna roll one this fall. I'd get something with a wider footprint that's more stable. You can stand up in an MLB and shoot. I'd look at that type boat.

Good luck whatever you decide.

#8 ·
It's probably no secret that I'm a big fan of the Lake Bonneville boats, but I would suggest you look at them or similar profile hull designs. If you want to build one, and have the skills and tools, great. We have had a lot of success this year, but the reality is that a lot of the birds still see the boat and smell a rat. The lower the boat, and proper design, the more good shooting you will have. They don't all come in, whether its puddlers, divers or geese. If you're going to go to all the work and expense of taking up layout hunting you might as well maximize your success!

#10 ·
thanks for all the info guys. I think im going to go ahead and build my own. But first Im gonna take a look at designs of big manufacturers and see how i should make it. Im gonna be carrying it on my tender to the spot. Looks good major woods! Ill post up a new thread when i get started on the project and let yall know how it goes. appreciate the info

#11 ·
Rhock19 said:
thanks for all the info guys. I think im going to go ahead and build my own. But first Im gonna take a look at designs of big manufacturers and see how i should make it. Im gonna be carrying it on my tender to the spot. Looks good major woods! Ill post up a new thread when i get started on the project and let yall know how it goes. appreciate the info
I made one a few years ago, so I will throw in my two cents. If you are going to have a larger tender boat and a couple of other guys a homemade one is fine. If you are hunting out of a smaller boat and will be using it in situations where you may hunt by yourself, I would just by one. The one I have is the pumpkinseed shaped type and works great, but it weighs a ton. Wood and fiberglass get heavy. I have taken it by myself before in my 15 foot john boat, but it is just too much of a hassle. If someone is hauling you out there in a large tender boat, and you have help moving it, then the weight won't make a whole lot of difference. If you are going want something you can move yourself, I can promise you that you will be better off buying one.

#13 ·
You can tow or motor a converted sailboat out to you spot and won't need to load it in the tender. If it is powered you can run the layout to and from the tender as well. A true layout isn't intended to be moved once it is set in place. Your supposed to have a backup guy in the tender at all times for safety. Making the layout boat motorable makes a lot more sense. On a small lake you can just take it and forget the tender entirely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.