Sleeper Decoys?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Sleeper Decoys?

Postby jscheirer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello, I am thinking about an off season project and wondered if it would be worth while or not.

I am planning on making a sleeper mold to make foam mallard decoys. I will use these when ice is around, on the ice and floating in an open spot of water cut out. While I have the mold I thought about making some redheads or bluebills in the sleeper position. Will these add anything new to a diver spread or do divers really not care? If not I will most likely just stick to repaints but Id like any input. Thanks
jscheirer
hunter

Re: Sleeper Decoys?

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:55 pm

I make a lot of foamers and half of my diver spread is sleepers. Ever watch a flock on the water for a while. A lot of them are asleep or the heads are in the resting position with a few always on alert. A spread with all alert birds looks like a flock about to take off. If you want to avoid the challenge of making a mold you can buy one from a guy on fleabay.

If you are serious about making your own go to workingdecoys.net and search through the molded and cast decoy forum for how to do it. Tons of info over there.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks Scaup, Ive been on that site often and am always looking at what guys can make with foam. So far I've attempted hand carving golden eyes, redheads, and buffs. So since you make your own foamers, what would you recommend for the keel? For the mallards sleepers I was thinking about just a suc duck style but doubt that would work for divers in windy conditions. Might have to make a 2x4 keel and work with that
jscheirer
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:33 am

I have some Scaup sleepers from Carry light wish I could find more , they give the long line a different look and fit into a smaller space in the decoy bag.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:57 am

composite decking from home depot or lowes is a good choice, you don't have to deal with sealing it like you have to with wood keels. You can cut them to any length to add the amount of weight to keep them upright. They are also easy to install with gorilla glue into the bottom of the decoy. Carving your own foamers gives you the ability to have the variety of poses you need for every circumstance.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:03 pm

Wow, those harlies look great. :thumbsup:
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Jim1648 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:18 pm

If anyone needs keels, shoot me a pm. I build trex decks and throw away enough scrap to put keels on thousands of decoys.
Jim1648
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Does anyone else have experience using sleepers? Puddlers or Divers
jscheirer
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:15 pm

I use them in my puddler spread but don't see a reason to use them in my diver spread. I have no issues convincing divers to come in.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby koonce727 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Id be willing to bet you will annually kill just as many ducks using all sleepers as you would using all actives. Guys have been killing divers and puddles for year over all actives. This feeder body pose stuff by in large hasn't been heavily used until more recent times.

For years my father shot divers over jugs dunked in tar with a little white on the sides, not even a head in the entire spread.

I see zero reason you would have issues running an all sleeper spread. Heck you may even do better as I doubt anyone else is running all sleepers. We all know how serious the heavy public hunters are about how looking different is often the key to success.

Just some food for thought
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:32 pm

I think body language for duck hunting probably only applies most of the time to certain species and under certain circumstances. For the most part it's color, contrast and movement that are the most important.

I took my 82 year old dad on his first diver hunt last week, he's hunted puddlers for over 65 years. it was a 4 limit success between my boys, my dad and myself. He was asking why I was using so few decoys since he had always heard diver hunters used hundreds of decoys, but I was only using 10 goldeneye and 2 buffies. My reply to him was "I have another two dozen feeding diver decoys in the spread, they are just all under water".
woodduck31
hunter

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:26 pm

I have made a couple of former sleepers that are in my diver spread. I was going to make more but my crew said if I made more they would not put them out, they hate them because you can't grab the head to pick them up. I think they add a lot of realism to the spread.
fishduck
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting