Diver spread off points and islands

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver spread off points and islands

Postby SouthernIllinoishunter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm

How should I run a diver spread off points and islands? Long lines or individual droppers? The water is anywhere from knee deep to 8foot. Ill be on lake Barkley and my rig right now is 24 bluebills 6 canvasbacks and 6 buffleheads

Thanks
SouthernIllinoishunter
hunter

Re: Diver spread off points and islands

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 am

With my set up, similar to yours I wouldn't mess with long lines. I just put about 20 feet of line on the dekes and wrap them. Half hitch them in shallow water. I like to hunt crosswinds, I don't like waterfowl of any species coming into a shoreline with the wind at my back. Different I know. I hunt with my main body of decoys straight in front of the blind/boat with a tail going downwind of single dekes. The ducks will follow the string right to the main body where you should be ready to shoot. The inside edge of my decoys starts about 10 yards and goes out to about 20 yards. I like the kill hole close. I would use my bluebills for the stringers and the full body with the cans and buffies upwind in little pods. Good luck
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Dito what cujo said. We hunt a long point off an island a good bit. We run a line of 16 BlueBills and have the front of it 25-30yds infront of us. We add some loose BB with a few cans - redheads- buffs around the front end with a hole in middle. We set puddlers off the side in calmer water. When the divers are there they will follow the line and usually come in. If not they still follow the line and may pull up just over the landing hole - we usually cut 'um then as they usually won't come back.
JFord56
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

I'd have a pod of divers with two lines forming a V running into the pod. If you have buffies and or GE set them in there own pod.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby yz450f » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Not much different here. We set the Buffies in pods and run the Bluebills in a couple of lines. The farthest bird is still within shotgun range.
yz450f
hunter

Postby JuneBug » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:01 am

I hunt here in Florida and we've found that a big J works well for us with the buffleheads in a X type shape. We mix our bluebills and redheads together. All singles, but we only step up in 3 to 4 foot of water.
JuneBug
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting