Open Water Diver Boat "Murder, Inc."

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Open Water Diver Boat "Murder, Inc."

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm

So Gents ... I finally have an Open Water Diver Boat to be PROUD of ... She is a 16ft, Fiberform w/ a 90hp Evinrude on her assssssssss end! I'm starting to take her out more and more, getting comfy with steering and setting longlines in current. Camo's her front end up with two cargo nets, and then zip tied the netting to the cargo, "loosely" ... This gives me room for 2-3 deek bags on the bow, keeping them off the floor and out of the way.

Just purchased 2 Rig'em Right 42 inch nets for her sides on the inside that can stretch width wise 10-18 inches. I will say that the last time I went out with a fellow DHC member, we decided that the blind posts need raised 6-8 inches, which will hide on the bow and stern profiles along the Columbia River. I built her to match / blend into the railroad berms that run along the river.

She can fit 3 guys and a dog "tight" or two and a dog comfy ... She has 3 gas tanks (overkill) two x 3ga spare tanks, and run one x 6ga main tank. I have 6 fog lights on her bow, set on two interstate marine batteries, and both set to different switches, ... run both sides going to blind, ... and only one side depending on what side I'm setting LL's ... Last issue I ran into on the trip was that the stern cleats are alittle to small ... Need about two sizes up for anchor rope, but other than that, minor changes here and there for personal preference, and she's good to go for next season, and seasons to come.

All and all, ... She's good to go for just a hair under $1600, ... that's everything!

Feeling like my diver rig is starting to come together ... I'd be interested in what you guys think?
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Re: Open Water Diver Boat "Murder, Inc."

Postby blackrock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Looks awesome! Great job and it looks like a good safe hull design for the mighty Columbia!
blackrock
hunter

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Keep those lights tuned off and let your eyes adjust and you will be able to see better. It is not a car, you don't need head lights. If you can cut that deck out of the bow you could give yourself some more room. Nice looking hull. Most of those old boats are built a lot stronger then the hulls today.

Good luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:28 am

I am going to counter the previous poster....do NOT cut that closed bow open!! as a matter of facts Id add a spray shield mounted to that closed bow angled up back towards the side blinds. and Id make it as water proof a mount as possible.

when the weather turns super nasty ...keeping water out of the boat is paramount. you spear a wave in a 16 foot open boat, you are taking on 10-30 gallons of water possibly...do it three times and now you are in trouble.

in my novice years I got stuck in a surprise Noreaster....I had a 16 footer with a closed bow and a small plastic windshield...when we stuck several waves the water shed right off and back into the ocean.....we barely made it back in....we would have NOT if the boat was an open utility....

now days every duck boat I use in the big water has a spray shield mounted to the front...

good luck

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby dpshack9 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Another counter to cutting the cap.

Most caps are designed to be a support structure that help secure the sides of the hull. Often times when you remove a cap from a boat, the outside of the hull will fold out. If you were to cut out the front, you would lose that support and it could put a lot of stress on the hull itself.

Good looking rig. Keep up the good work.
dpshack9
Newb

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 am

: Well Gents, thank you very much for the advise! I'm not going to do any cutting on her, as I'm very happy with the way she performed this year on the water. I bagged BB, Can's, Reds, GE, Ringer and Buffy outta her.

The motor worked awesome, very pleased with its performance. Have to work on the blind more, need to raise the back and front blind 6inches or so, a hair low right now. Need bigger cleats on her ass end, along with maybe two more on the sides for tie up purposes. I hunted a couple dolphins along the Columbia this year, and wishes I had a middle tie up ... Would like at least two shotgun holders, either on the front or side on the inside to hold the guns up while waiting on birds. I also need two 150ft anchor lines ... have 100fts currently and couldn't stay on two spots because of current. Install a depth finder with a low water alarm ... and put that rubber matting you find in resturants ... floor got slick a couple times, even with the deck restore.

Any other suggestions gents? Once again, thanks for the advice.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:29 pm

toolmaker wrote:I am going to counter the previous poster....do NOT cut that closed bow open!! as a matter of facts Id add a spray shield mounted to that closed bow angled up back towards the side blinds. and Id make it as water proof a mount as possible.

when the weather turns super nasty ...keeping water out of the boat is paramount. you spear a wave in a 16 foot open boat, you are taking on 10-30 gallons of water possibly...do it three times and now you are in trouble.

in my novice years I got stuck in a surprise Noreaster....I had a 16 footer with a closed bow and a small plastic windshield...when we stuck several waves the water shed right off and back into the ocean.....we barely made it back in....we would have NOT if the boat was an open utility....

now days every duck boat I use in the big water has a spray shield mounted to the front...

good luck

the tool

True, but the area he is in never gets rough enough to swap a 16' fiberglass boat.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:17 am

: Pic's coming soon, but today I get my custom shelves put in to check off another project done in the off-season. So far this year, sealed her up, new rubber fatique floor and now shelves to store at least 2dzn decoys and gear.

Next is moving battery from back to front under bow ... rerigg wiring ... and re-do some rollers on the trailer.

Like I said ... Pic's coming soon.

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby Fowler » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:54 am

Home depot carries 3X3 ft rubber mats for around 20 bucks or so. They are the black mats with the holes in them. I use them in my sea duck rig up here in Maine and they don't get slick at all.
Fowler
hunter

Postby Krete » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:09 am

BigBlondeBirdDog wrote:: Pic's coming soon, but today I get my custom shelves put in to check off another project done in the off-season. So far this year, sealed her up, new rubber fatique floor and now shelves to store at least 2dzn decoys and gear.

Next is moving battery from back to front under bow ... rerigg wiring ... and re-do some rollers on the trailer.

Like I said ... Pic's coming soon.

Boats are always a work in progress! If you didn't have to tweak stuff, what else would we do!?

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Spent the day working on my Starcraft yesterday!

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Work in progress ...

So .... The glue hasn't dried to where we wanted it to be prior to installing ... so looks like we are waiting a couple days more ... Damn it!

BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting