layout boat

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

layout boat

Postby keith96 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm

from the first time i baged my first diver i was hooked i love the fast pace low flying action i hunt out of my dads 15 duck wranger (now duck waters ) but i want to layout hunt im lucky to be a short drive from the finger lakes in ny but im going to collage soon and wont have the money to buy a layout like a ufo layout boat or boats of that class i do have a cartson puddler which is a marsh layout boat kyak hybrid sort of deal so my question is can i use that or mabey one of those bevertail final attack marsh layouts for layout hunting in like bays and have good sucsess. ik i wouldnt be able to use it in big open water but what about the bays let me know i rly want to try layout hunting :help:
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

layout boat

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:40 am

Let me caution you about layout hunting; it is a very addictive sport! Once you try it and get on a good shoot you will be buying more gear, followed by only wanting to hunt layout boats.

So money's tight I understand. Calm days you should be able to pull it off with that setup. Divers will come into that. However you will be at the mercy of the weather and will probably not be able to hunt a lot of days due to weather. If and when you have a good shoot I am going to go out on a limb and say you will be adding a true layout to the spread so you can hunt more days. Then of you are anything like me you will become a little crazy about it and have two lake bonneville layout boats with 20 dozen decoys ready to throw in the boat whenever I find birds! Lol....don't say I didn't give you a heads up!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Re: layout boat

Postby keith96 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm

thanks for the reply .diver hunting is addicting between me and my dad we have countless diver decoys lots of herters decoys ,other foam decoys ,and plastic diver deks all rigged up for long lines. i can say someday i will have a real layout boat but like i said collage is fast coming. what i want to know is how do i anchor the layout and the end of the long lines in deeper waters .
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

layout boat

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Umm I've never messed with anchoring a kayak however I use a large grappling anchor for the up wind side of my layout. The anchor is rated to hold a 35' boat. Over kill? Yes but the last thing I want is the anchor pulling lose due to havering to hold the tender also. On the layout boats I also use a small grappling anchor that I toss from the layout to direct the nose of the boat so that the shooter can shoot more of the spread. Hope that makes sense.

Anchoring long lines. Pretty easy idk what type of lines you are using but on the end of them I have stainless steel clips that I can attach my weights. I found that you can't buy large lead weights so I went to the scrap yard and poured my own which weigh 6-8 pounds....I stuck some stainless steel in them so I would have something to attach my clips to. I have also seen guys using dumbbells as weights also.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm

This may help point you in the right direction and clear up some things for you.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... y=CKeG7aML

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby keith96 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Thx for the info .my dad swears by the dumb bells me i use old window wheights on the end of my line there's a loop with a carabener that clips to a cain on my wheight. for deeper water as a rule of thumb how much line between the last decoy and my wheight should there be
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:46 am

keith96 wrote:Thx for the info .my dad swears by the dumb bells me i use old window wheights on the end of my line there's a loop with a carabener that clips to a cain on my wheight. for deeper water as a rule of thumb how much line between the last decoy and my wheight should there be

I would use window weights if I could get my hands on them. They are also very easy to drag.

As far as you question I assume you are asking about you dropper lines (line from your front decoy down the the weight, correct?) idk if you have current or how deep you will be hunting but I usually leave around 10' -15' extra line on each end of the line. Helps with slack do that you can make your lines bow. I really don't hunt drop offs at all more of a gradual slope. However, the same consent goes for if you are hunting drop offs just the further out end of the line will be longer than the closer to shore end.

You can buy precut 25' droppers from doctori long lines. Kinda nice to have a few on a roll to clip on to your long lines to extend your droppers if you find yourself in deeper water.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 pm

im going to collage soon
our future looks bright
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 am

yeah I thought that the first time was a typo... But it appeared again. lol "collage"
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:20 pm

As far as a layout is concerned have you looked into Four Rivers??? If not I would like to steer you in that direction. I have a Refuge Runner that is 13' and has truly changed the way I duck hunt. I had never been much of a diver guy, but after giving layout style hunting a try I was hooked! Like you and Nelli said once you go and have a good hunt you find yourself painting your mallard deeks black and white and sticking them on a long line! :thumbsup: Give Tom a look up at https://fourriverslayoutboats.com/ he could give you some idea's on what to look for in an affordable layout. I have looked all over and haven't found a more versatile boat (IMP). Good Luck!!! :beer:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Build a layout boat. Plans are available.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby sgk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey keith,
I layout hunt Oneida out of my stealth 1200 all the time. lets hook up next season and I'll show you how I do it. If you go out on your own to try it just remember that the wind can change in a hurry and you can get in trouble quick. My stealth is a lot more stable than your Carsten and I have had some rough paddles back to shore when the wind caught me off guard. Better yet, tell your dad that this is the year he should finally buy that layout boat he's been talking about for the last few years.
sgk
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting