Offshore or on a point?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Offshore or on a point?

Postby bigblue0827 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:58 am

This has most likely been covered, but here goes. Hunting out of a boat blind (Cabelas Northern Flight with Avery grass) would you rather set up off shore in the open or tucked into a point or on the bank? I can certainly see advantages to both. My gut tells me for mixed bag hunting, you have a better shot decoying puddle ducks while tucked into the bank but I like being further into the open water for divers.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated. Safe hunting and straight shooting, it has been a pretty decent year so far.
bigblue0827
hunter

Re: Offshore or on a point?

Postby JuneBug » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 am

I have the same blind but I used netting instead of the grass. We tend to setup on or around points but we have to get off of the shoreline due to the tide. We normally set up spreads on both sides of the boat to catch any birds that move closer to the bank. Not many puddle ducks hang out around here on the bay to my knowledge.
JuneBug
hunter

Re: Offshore or on a point?

Postby bigblue0827 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks June bug. Haven't really thought about setting on both sides.. Seems like a good idea

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
bigblue0827
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting