Divers and Calling?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Divers and Calling?

Postby JFord56 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

We usually hunt a mixed spread. A string or two of Bills with some loose BB, Redheads, cans near the front. We also do a puddle duck spread off to the side with a few geese. Any puddlers and we get on the mallard call. Sometimes a gadwall or teal or pintail call. Divers just seem to swing in with no calling. Whats you take on hunting calling over a mixed dek spread and then one with just divers and no puddlers. We have been giving serious thought to setting up off shore over a shoal and running just divers. Just have to get our blind more low profile. I would assume no calling - just sit still and watch? We just never know what is going to be around where we hunt. Usually it's some of each so we try to up our odds and set up for either.
JFord56
hunter

Re: Divers and Calling?

Postby Krete » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 pm

JFord56 wrote:We usually hunt a mixed spread. A string or two of Bills with some loose BB, Redheads, cans near the front. We also do a puddle duck spread off to the side with a few geese. Any puddlers and we get on the mallard call. Sometimes a gadwall or teal or pintail call. Divers just seem to swing in with no calling. Whats you take on hunting calling over a mixed dek spread and then one with just divers and no puddlers. We have been giving serious thought to setting up off shore over a shoal and running just divers. Just have to get our blind more low profile. I would assume no calling - just sit still and watch? We just never know what is going to be around where we hunt. Usually it's some of each so we try to up our odds and set up for either.

From late October until early January, I target divers exclusively, and to be honest I've never found that diver calls have made a difference. That said, a square black flag on a piece of dowel when in the layout has worked wonders on those days when the Bluebills won't cooperate!

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am

We hunt with an exclusive diver spread but in an area where its completely possible to have puddlers set in. We have found that a mallard hen call doesnt hurt to get some recognition from the divers . No highballing though. Also have called with a mallard call just doing a "burrrrr burrrr burrrr" especially on fog or overcast days when theres not much wind. Also having that call handy is good when you do get some puddlers buzz the spread and take a look.
Got5dux
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 am

Drivers and puddlers
Attachments
IMG_8493.jpg
Got5dux
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:26 am

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=349442

There is a pic in this thread that I posted a while back about mixed spreads...take a look...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 am

This was strictly a diver hunt. Set up diver decoys and we were done in 40 mins. No calling or anything these dumb SOB's landed on us we had no cover or anything could have shot 100 canvasbacks yesterday
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:40 pm

txhunter90 wrote:Image
This was strictly a diver hunt. Set up diver decoys and we were done in 40 mins. No calling or anything these dumb SOB's landed on us we had no cover or anything could have shot 100 canvasbacks yesterday

Hahahaha i know exactly where thats at
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Duck Collector wrote:
txhunter90 wrote:Image

Hahahaha i know exactly where thats at

Where ya from?? No secret everybody and their momma hunts it
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Im from houston but i hunted up there back in december with Lance.
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 pm

I guess I don't know a Lance. Alot of divers
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 am

He guides alot in that part of that lake. I thought i saw a that boat when i was there? Idk i guess theres alot of GTR's in texas lol
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting