Diver help!!

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Diver help!!

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Okay here in north georgia we get some divers but not a ton. So we mainly target puddlers. But we do get a ton of ringers that we shoot. My only concern is that there's a huge pond that's holding about 200 ducks. All divers ringers buffies Rudy's and mergansers. What would you do in this situation??

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Re: Diver help!!

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Shoot as many as the law allows and have a cook out.
fishduck
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Forgot to add that I'm not sure they're ever leaving

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 pm

First, you could go in before daylight and watch from a distance. See where they are coming in at(if it's a big pond, they might have a preferred spot that they like to land but that may vary depending on the wind). Then after you do this and you determine if they are leaving or not(being that it's ringers mostly I'm 100% sure they are leaving) go back in and set up with the wind in your favor in the spot that they prefered landing with diver decoys. Shouldn't be too hard.

Second, personally I like to hunt ringnecks in the evening on a pond opposed to a morning. You could go in and gently run all the birds off the pond around midday and then set up and just be ready to have war as ringers and most all divers will come back not long after they're ran out.

But you could scout both times of the day before you hunt for best success.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 pm

if there are sitting all day I would watch them and see if they do move at all if not wait for a windy, drizzly day. That should stir them up.

as for a spread if all you have is mallards just run a tight blob, if you have some divers then run a few long lines off the blob.

If nothing at all atleast go set up, shoot, that's better than sitting at home thinking about hunting the spot.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting