Hunting in the bays

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Hunting in the bays

Postby Drew-t22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Hey guys me and two buddies are going to head down to Panama City area to do a little hunting I have never hunted out of Georgia I was just wondering if y'all had any tips and advice it's a pretty long drive with not knowing to much about the area I know how people can be about giving help just thought I would ask thanks for any input!
Drew-t22
Newb

Re: Hunting in the bays

Postby Krete » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Forget hunting right away, and spend the time scouting to figure out where the birds want to be. Whether it's calm bays or open lake, flexibility is key.

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 pm

Find you a spot that you can see a long ways and put out the decoys and you make get lucky. If not you still have your binoculars or in my case a rifle with a big scope and look and see where the ducks are and going. At 8 or before get up and leave and ride around until you find the ducks or a good spot to hunt the the ones you saw in your binoculars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby rjwxfrog » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I live down here near Okaloosa Island, just moved, and saw a grip of divers in the sound. Can you hunt just off the highway? When I say just off, I mean over 100m? It is a State Park area and I saw folks fishing out there. Just wondering because I couldn't find it in the guides whether or not hunting in this type of spot was legit or not.
rjwxfrog
Newb

Return to Diver Duck Hunting