Hunting a bare rocky shore

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Hunting a bare rocky shore

Postby cedar creek sam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Sometimes the birds stay near a shallow area that has a bare, rocky shore. Wet at low tide, uncomfortable lying on various rocks at any tide.

Anyone have techniques for hunting this kind of shore where there's little to no natural cover? A layout boat would be good in the water but that's not available; a layout blind might be the answer but the rocks aren't small....

The birds can be Brant, Widgeon, Gold Eyes and Scaup, maybe the occasional and very wary Black Duck.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Re: Hunting a bare rocky shore

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:22 am

Try moving some rocks to make a depression, then put a coffin blind in the hole. Get a piece of canvas or mesh and try to paint it to match the surrounding rocks. Might just work.........
blackrock
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:32 pm

If I knew I was going to have a rocky type place to hunt on a consistent basis, I'd go to the trouble of creating a blind out of chicken wire and fiberglass, or even burlap over foam that could be painted up to blend with the rocks, but easily hauled out. It wouldn't take much to make a 4 foot rock hide that would shield you from the view of divers. I've seen some boats in the past that were made to look like a rocky bank and they blend in very well.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:50 pm

image.jpg
Heres what we use. It's always best to be low profile. I got to thinking you could make a thin plywood cover, hinged, and then glue foam on it and sculpt and paint it to resemble the local rocks. Then I saw woodducks post, great idea if you want a bigger blind, easier to shoot out of. It would probably work great for the divers, I don't know about the super wary black ducks! Show us what you come up with, probably a great off season project.
blackrock
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:32 pm

hey , we went back there on the last saturday and we had the wind in our face! but the birds wanted in....the wind was supposed to turn 180 by 9 am...but by 11 it hadnt and a white out snow squawl had blown through.....sucked sitting out in the wind 15 mph !!

i had thought about a fiberglass rock...or a bow hunting blind

the golden eyes were staying wide mostly...when we went to get the boat to tear down...three flocks landed in the decoys...i think because those two big blobs werent on shore!

the coffin blind sounds like it might work....not to bad to transport..you can stay dry longer

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm

cedar creek sam wrote:Sometimes the birds stay near a shallow area that has a bare, rocky shore. Wet at low tide, uncomfortable lying on various rocks at any tide.

Anyone have techniques for hunting this kind of shore where there's little to no natural cover? A layout boat would be good in the water but that's not available; a layout blind might be the answer but the rocks aren't small....

The birds can be Brant, Widgeon, Gold Eyes and Scaup, maybe the occasional and very wary Black Duck.

The best thing I have found for rocky shores is the non woven camo blind material they sell at outdoor stores and Wal-Mart. Some of it has the leaf cut, but it doesn't matter if it has that or not. They sell different colors so the key is buying a color that matches the rocks. Buy some, wash it and then leave it crumpled in the washer for a little while before opening it up to dry. It will fade the camo pattern (which you want) and give it a lot of texture that matches the rocks. We use the duck blind patterns for for the sandstone and red mud shore around here. We put it over a layout blind and it blends in great.
I also found a place a few years back where some ducks were holding up near a bank that had some granite rip rap on it. it was steep so you couldn't put a layout blind, so I took a piece of the dark camo cloth and washed it the same way. I could sit on a cushioned seat back among those rocks with that cloth over top of me and they would light in the decoys. Hammered in that spot for a while that season.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Jake S » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:43 pm

I've had great success hunting divers on rocky shore. wear a face mask and don't even think about moving till its time to shoot. It really helps if you can get low enough to have rocks behind you to break up your silhouette.
Jake S
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Try takeing a layout blind, and attach styrofoam thats spraypainted grey like the rocks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It might work....... I have heard of a guy whho does this.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby mmayes » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am

You could go head to toe in Nat Gear Camo and just set still. Thats how we do it on sparsely covered ground.

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:36 pm

you guys just don't know what size the rocks are......or how flat this place is.....with no cover all the way back 60 yards...

its like volley ball size rocks until the tide is almost dead low, then some dirt shows up....the tide edge moves 40 yards....that's how flat it is there...you don't sit on rocks like that for long in comfort..... the plastic lay down sled and coffin blinds would be the best......

sur eif you sit there all day you will get some birds no matter what you use or how you sit there.....but the birds want in bad enough that if covered right, you could be done in an hour....

the shoreline is similar to this....no grass though:Image

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Hide behind the buoy it might work if its been there for a while. :biggrin:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting