Bad second split anyone?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Bad second split anyone?

Postby Waskom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:53 pm

I hunt in North Texas and also in East Texas and the opening of the season was very good one of the best seasons I have ever had, in fact. I hunt mostly in east Texas on a lake but back in the timber. And this second split has been the worst duck hunting I have ever had.

Right now most of the ducks are local ducks that live on the lake, they are smart, they know not to come into your setup, they know to keep flying to the open water of the lake where you can not hunt.

It seems like there are no new ducks on the lake.
Have they been to shot up?(we are the last to receive ducks in the the United States, since we are in Texas)

I was wondering if you all have been having any luck. And any idea what is happening to all the ducks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waskom
Newb

Re: Bad second split anyone?

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:43 pm

image.jpg
Why can't you hunt in the open water? Try this. Best season ever. This works because the ducks and geese feel safe out in open water! We killed just as many on the last day of a 105 day season as we did the first day. Call Lake Bonneville Layout Boats.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Waskom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:40 pm

It is a private lake that has lake houses around the open water area, and they only allow hunting in the timber area.

This is what the timber area looks like. ImageImage
And the this is the boat we hunt from.Image
(From the first split) Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waskom
Newb

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Looks like a good spot........
blackrock
hunter

Postby Krete » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:40 pm

You need to be able to hunt multiple areas to consistently stay on the birds. Sticking to one area or body of water will keep you on the stale birds. Instead of hunting this same lake over and over again, put the effort into finding the birds in other areas, especially when dealing with divers.

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting