6 and 12 slot decoy bag help

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

6 and 12 slot decoy bag help

Postby Birdbogie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 pm

I am currently using the stand-up mesh style decoy bags to house my pre-rigged longlines and it has been nothing short of a disaster for my ever-aging long time, coke bottled glasses, God love him, hunting partner - my father! I wanted to try the 6 and 12 slot decoy bags to reduce tangling lines. I ordered the Avery 6 slot bags and to my dismay found that the dividers did not extend completely to the floor of the bag. I'm afraid the lines will tangle when piled in the bottom of the bag since there is nothing keeping them apart putting me right back where I am now - a mess! My questions are: Is this something I need to be concerned with? Do they make 6 and 12 slot bags where the dividers are sewn to the bottom of the bag so as to prevent lines lying on the bottom from tangling? Thanks!
Birdbogie
hunter

Re: 6 and 12 slot decoy bag help

Postby tgs » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Bags by Diane, mesh bottoms and sewn down pockets. Great product, her reputation of not getting right back to you can be frustrating at times, but I have 8 of her bags and they are great. JMO Good luck.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:52 pm

We hunt rogers bags and avery bags and its really not an issue, Dianes bags are nice but pricy if ordered with sewn in bottoms. I have only have a few of Dianes bags and only for a short while, hopefully they will hold up better than averys. The nice thing about the cheaper bags is they have a pocket that we put the anchor in, but you have to dry them out as the thread will rot on them.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:26 pm

I have several brands and my favorite is the Avery 12 slot padded with a lid. Has pocket on the front.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Krete » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 pm

I run both 12 and 6 slot bags. For the 6 slot bags, I actually use hanging sweater organizers from Storage Solutions. They're $9 each, and if I want, I can actually run a line of 12 dekes in them stacked on top of eachother.

-Nick
Krete
hunter

Postby Birdbogie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm looking into to all the comments. Easier spreads ahead! Thanks again.
Birdbogie
hunter

Postby Ghillie_55 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 am

I have two avery bags and about 8 or so rogers 12 slot bags. I like the rogers so much more! Over time the material the avery bags are made of kind of "dry rots" and gets stiff. The rogers bags have held up great for the 3 years I have been using them. And at $30 to boot, can't beat it.

You dont need to worry about the gap at the bottom of the bag. Every once in a while a clip may get hung up on it, or the butt of a decoy, but nothing a little tug can't fix.

The slotted bags are the only way Ill long line decoys. If I'm hunting different areas, I can take the bags that I need that have the decoys I want. When goldeneyes start showing up, I'll grab the goldeneye bag.

Another thing I do to help reduce tangles is cut the anchor drops off your mainline, so you do not have all that rope to tangle up in the bag.

See if this makes sense:

Anchor---------------Clip 0------mainline--------0 Clip-----------anchor.

The circles are loops at the end of the mainline to connect the anchor drops too. Adds a little extra maintance to keep the anchor lines from tangeling. Just find a system that works for you, but makes not having tangles in the decoy bag that much better. You could put the two anchor lines in the side pocket on the rogers bag. I put all of my anchor drops in a milk crate.

Hope that helps!
TEAM NEWPORT
Ghillie_55
hunter

Postby Birdbogie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Makes perfect sense. Great idea. Thanks for your input!
Birdbogie
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting