Strange to see Goldeneye here...

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Strange to see Goldeneye here...

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Hey guys i was going to some family land to look at a pond for some inventory for what will hopefully be a great little honey hole next year. As i pulled down close to the edge of the water i saw about 10 or so goldeneye rafted up in the middle of the pond. In east texas i can count on one hand how many of these i have seen in the many years I have hunted here. Just didnt expect to see them in a pond that is more of a puddle hole for birds down here went back today (2 days later) they are still camped out there is unusual in anyones experience and could goldeneye stay on such a small body of water?
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Re: Strange to see Goldeneye here...

Postby Gcdhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

everything is frozen up north. they need somewhere to hang out
I hate goose poop on my golf course
Gcdhunter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:25 pm

They go where the open water and food is at. We shot a few off a creek that is less than 10ft wide and 2 feet deep this year.
duckman27
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 am

there is a farm in NY I hunt that has channel dug through the field to allow water drainage. It is only about 10-12 feet wide and is about 200 yards long... its been there so long now that one end had cattails and brush growing.. the other end is mostly gravel and inched deep, that's where most of the water springs up from the ground.. I find that puddlers like to hang out in it after eating in the cornfields in the morning. I have jumped black ducks mallards and pintails from it. ! last year and snuck up on it and at 15 yards I could see three heads barely... as I slowly stood higher, I could see a drake and hen mallard come to attention and next to them was a mature drake golden eye! the water is maybe 12-18" deep! go figure!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Right... kinda the same here just really turned on from the word i got around here. The last weekend of the season I heard of more limits killed than I had since the first two weeks of the season. I all but gave up till the last two weeks the cold fronts pushed straight down from up north and EVERYTHING changed we had mixes of Canada's and divers finally show up where we were covered up last year early. Go figure every year is different that's what makes what we do so much fun! Thanks for the help guys!
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:06 pm

Here in MN my cousin was on a lake that was shin deep and about 20 yards across. They shot a 4 man limit of Goldeneyes in 45 mins so if its open they will be there
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:55 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:Here in MN my cousin was on a lake that was shin deep and about 20 yards across. They shot a 4 man limit of Goldeneyes in 45 mins so if its open they will be there

ha where I come from thats barely a pond!

2 foot deep and 20 yards across?????????????

heck its even too small to call a pond!

but thats the life...shooting birds in water that deep

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting