Looking for a sea duck hunt

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Looking for a sea duck hunt

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Hey all, I'm looking for sea duck hunt. I want to do a layout boat hunt anywhere on the east coast where I can kill Eider and Long Tailed Ducks, Scoter would be awesome too but the first two are what I really want, can anyone point me in the direction of an outfitter? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks
hunter

Re: Looking for a sea duck hunt

Postby boney fingers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:46 am

Search this forum for East Coast Waterfowlers, you can kill all three species along with a few others. Capt Steve is one of the hardest working guides out there.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 pm

ill second east coast, great guy and works hard for you and get great results!!
brian tierno
hunter

Postby Fowler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:07 am

Make sure you do your homework. A lot of guides have recently bought layouts and try to make it sound like they have been using them for years. Owning one and using one all the time is way different. This is not a slam against guide mentioned. Just saying beware of others out there that claim to be the best.
Fowler
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:34 pm

I dont really see the attraction to the layout hunt. Eiders, Scoters and most of the time long tails will work to a big rig boat blind set up. Most of the places that you will go to hunt these birds will be big water. Big water means big weather!! Take it from someone who guides themselves, we hunt Sea ducks quite often and rarely use our layout unless we are in protected areas on calm days and in those areas we are shooting Oldsquaw.

If you are looking for all 3 species that you mentioned I would not look any further south than Rhode Island especially for Eiders. Many good guides from ME to RI. Hope that helps
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:26 pm

barngeatbayman wrote:I dont really see the attraction to the layout hunt.

Why? Ever tried it? I love layout hunting, when you get used to using them the birds are so close, your so low to the water....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Tealer wrote:

Why? Ever tried it? I love layout hunting, when you get used to using them the birds are so close, your so low to the water....

I could never hunt from shoreline again and be perfectly happy....actually preferred.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:01 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:
Tealer wrote:

I could never hunt from shoreline again and be perfectly happy....actually preferred.

Kinda how I am starting to feel, I am almost ready to give up puddle birds.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby blackrock » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:57 pm

We started layout hunting to shoot a few divers and geese over water. We unfortunately don't have many divers. We had a lot of fun doing that. The huge bonus was all the puddle ducks that come right in to our spread! Puddlers coming in to a layout spread are a blast. We too are now addicted to the layout boat! Can't wait to try it for sea ducks!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Tealer wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:
Tealer wrote:

Kinda how I am starting to feel, I am almost ready to give up puddle birds.

Oh I have no plans on giving up on puddle ducks...actually just starting to really get in a grove to harvesting them in the open water.

Kinda following blackrocks lead! Lol

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:50 pm

blackrock wrote:We started layout hunting to shoot a few divers and geese over water. We unfortunately don't have many divers. We had a lot of fun doing that. The huge bonus was all the puddle ducks that come right in to our spread! Puddlers coming in to a layout spread are a blast. We too are now addicted to the layout boat! Can't wait to try it for sea ducks!

Everyday I get to run a layout boat I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve as I'm packing my stuff, followed by a sleepless night as I day dream about what will happen in the morning. It never gets old!

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:48 pm

I second that buddy! We didn't even set up in a field ONCE in a 3 1/2 month season.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 pm

Tealer wrote:

Yeah I own one ever hunt the North Atlantic in the winter? when you do I hope it doesnt start kicking for you unexpectedly then you'll wish you never did
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:30 pm

barngeatbayman wrote:
Tealer wrote:

Yeah I own one ever hunt the North Atlantic in the winter? when you do I hope it doesnt start kicking for you unexpectedly then you'll wish you never did

No, I use mine on the Pacific and the Columbia River. Given the opportunity I would run one on the East coast no problem.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby barngeatbayman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Tealer wrote:
barngeatbayman wrote:
Tealer wrote:

No, I use mine on the Pacific and the Columbia River. Given the opportunity I would run one on the East coast no problem.

The layout boat is for Bays Estuaries and Rivers they have no place on the Ocean.....if you want to be irresponsible have at it...not with my life....just don't put any of my Coastie friends in danger saving your ass!
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:26 pm

barngeatbayman wrote:
Tealer wrote:
barngeatbayman wrote:
Tealer wrote:

The layout boat is for Bays Estuaries and Rivers they have no place on the Ocean.....if you want to be irresponsible have at it...not with my life....just don't put any of my Coastie friends in danger saving your ass!

You clearly have little experience in layouts. There are many people who run layouts in the ocean.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby boney fingers » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:38 pm

OP, I assure you layout hunting can be done both safely and effectively for eiders, scoters, and squaws. Obviously there are limits to any type of hunting you do and this is where a good guide comes in. While I would not recommend attempting to layout hunt the ocean without an experienced guide, I would also not hesitate to recommend doing it with a experienced hard working guide such as capt Steve. Ive done it several times and lived to tell about it; little in the world of water fowling compares to killing sea ducks from the cockpit of a layout.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Tealer wrote:
barngeatbayman wrote:
Tealer wrote:
barngeatbayman wrote:
Tealer wrote:

You clearly have little experience in layouts. There are many people who run layouts in the ocean.

I have lots of experience running layouts that's why I know better when you have almost 40 years of experience on the Ocean and spend as many days as I do on the water you learn that laying out on the Atlantic in Dec and Jan ain't a good idea. Like I said have at it I don't put my life or clients lives in danger.

Guys in Maine will run them behind islands in good lees and guys in MA will run them in bays but laying out in the Open Ocean isn't too smart it only takes that one time for the weather to turn and you are done for what? I've killed Scoter and Eider at 5 yards in big safe boats.
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Going to bump this back to the top with the original question before it was turned into a layout boat argument. Like the OP, I too would like to hear about some sea duck guide services etc.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby barngeatbayman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:40 pm

jstewart_1981 wrote:Going to bump this back to the top with the original question before it was turned into a layout boat argument. Like the OP, I too would like to hear about some sea duck guide services etc.

PM sent
barngeatbayman
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 pm

If you are dead set on an Eider I would stay North above the Chesapeake Bay. You may be able to kill some in the Northern portion of the Chesapeake but I would think you chance would be better North of there. You can kill Scoter and Old Squaw down the coast, but I wouldn't go below the Pamlico Sound in NC.
hydrilla
hunter

Postby seeduk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 pm

jstewart_1981 wrote:Going to bump this back to the top with the original question before it was turned into a layout boat argument. Like the OP, I too would like to hear about some sea duck guide services etc.

hi guys. I posted on another thread asking basically the same question.

a couple of friends and I have gunned with East Coast Guide Service (not to be confused with the other newer guide service mentioned here) a few times. here is a section of a posting i did when the same questin was asked. hunt with ECGS , Capt Perez , of
www.seaduckhunt.com, will not disapoint

My friends and I, we decided to to go with Capt. Ruben Perez. Looking over his photos of the stacks of sea ducks, not just eiders, but long-tails, three kinds of scoters, brants, and the black duck, was too much to turn away from. We were looking for a hard working guide that will put us on the ducks and bring us back safely to the dock. Didn't want a guide to feed me, tell me jokes, or give me guide talk, I want to hunt.

When we hunted with Capt. Perez, he was great. Non stop worker, the man was a machine. Funny, knowledgeable, and safe! We walked away with so many trophy ducks, I think our taxidermy bill, was more than the hunting fee LOL. We saw thousands of eiders, it was amazing, and good for the soul. What more can a man want? Anyhow, take a look at his facebook photos, or his youtube videos, or his blog. We did, and let me tell you, it's amazing the amount of people he puts into the birds.

Capt Perez , many years guiding, top of the line equipment, can get you into eiders, long-tails, all three scoters, brant, and blacks, along with other divers. Hunts Cape Cod, thousands of eiders, long-tails, brants and other ducks. Lot's of room to hunt, did not hunt the same place twice. http://www.seaduckhunt.com. PM me if you like

BTW, Capt Perez has put us on some great layout hunts and he did so in the open Atlantic as well as bays. Always safe, always fun. Guess alot depends on the guides experience :smile:
seeduk
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting