another decoy question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

another decoy question

Postby boney fingers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 am

Every time a decoy question comes up on this site, it seems the standard answer is that BBs and cans will decoy to anything and that GEs and buffies will only decoy to their own. Not that I totally disagree with this, although Ive killed a heap of buffies over BB deks, but I got to thinking, why don't you just run an all buffie/GE spread.
boney fingers
hunter

Re: another decoy question

Postby eagles2069 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am

This is just personally what I have seen so take it with a grain of salt. I have thrown out GE only spread and have shot BB, Buffies and GE over it but I found if I threw out BB decoys the BB decoy way better. With the GE only spread the BB were normally just passing shot but when I throw out BB decoys they come in feet down. I found similar results with Redheads. So when I scout if I see a spot holding BB, Red heads and Goldies I will throw out all three decoys.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:11 pm

I hope this helps.. find a raft of ducks.. divers... what do they look like ? What do u see ? .. monkey see monkey do.. your over thinking it..and as well just like geese.. they are looking for the x.. and how natural looking the x is before they run into you if your trafficking drivers
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:37 pm

I passed on Buffleheads on the water in my 6 gadwall decoys just about every hunt this season. Shot quite a few goldeneyes out of them and passed on countless more since they're a fatty, poor tasting bird. Didn't have near the Redhead and BB numbers this year but they decoyed perfectly when they were around. Ducks like to see other ducks. Being species specific may help your chances but ultimately ducks just want to be in an area that they feel safe/comfortable in with other ducks.
duckman27
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:14 pm

-^ agree to a point.. but ducks want to be where the food is.. plain and simple people over think the shapes and what decoys to run. . Target ur birds in the area with decoy specific set ups with correct h.w .. on that note I like helping other people but you need to do your feild h.w ^^^top of page
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:21 pm

fowlplayx wrote:-^ agree to a point.. but ducks want to be where the food is.. plain and simple people over think the shapes and what decoys to run. . Target ur birds in the area with decoy specific set ups with correct h.w .. on that note I like helping other people but you need to do your feild h.w ^^^top of page

I feel pretty much the same way, I asked the question because when others ask, the standard answer is always BBs and cans decoy to anything and buffies and GEs only to their own. Its not been exactly my experience, but since so many say it, I just wondered why you wouldn't only run GEs and buffies and was wondering if anyone has tried it. Im a fan of "match the hatch" myself. Location is by far the most important ingredient, but Ive always believed that you can never be too realistic.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 pm

^ I got you. .. from my experience golden eyes and buffel head's dont mind landing with bills or cans or red heads... but bills cans and red head's kinda hang out in tbeir big party.... treat the golden eyes and buffle heads as the party crashes ... off to the side or in the other room if u get my drift..... I think the black and white look with large numbers grab most anything in... I mean when u have 150 decoys out that duck is just looking for a hole to land in at that point... thats why u here alot of guys say run bills or cans...I run my spread all bills cans and red heads 1 dozen golden eyes 6 buffle I run 15 dozen tottaly on big spread days
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Look how relaxed this spread is look at the numbers and spacious lines lol
Attachments
2013112895093116.jpg
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm

This is a dence feeding spread l
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:37 pm

-
Attachments
2013123195164441.jpg
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

The dence feeding decoy pic won't upload. . O well u get the idea both work well its knowing when amd how to run the two types
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby Krete » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm

fowlplayx wrote:The dence feeding decoy pic won't upload.

"Dence" eh? Lmfao.
Krete
hunter

Postby fowlplayx » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:15 pm

What's so funny -^
Fowl play! All day!
fowlplayx
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:17 pm

fowlplayx wrote:What's so funny -^