Sea Duck hunting Question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Sea Duck hunting Question

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 am

I am trying to book a Sea Duck hunt in the North East for the up coming season. My problem is I think Im going to be coming alone, or myself and 1 other hunter. I am interested in hunting 2-3 days, preferably 3. From what I am seeing on the rate schedules the boats are being rented for x amount / day and understandably so. If I came alone or with 1 other person that wouldn't be logical for us. My question is will some guides join 2 small groups to hunt together or would it be a waste of their time? Also, if you know of any that would work with someone in that way please let me know. I am interested in Old Squaw primarily, scooters, Brant and possibly Eiders. Buffleheads wouldn't hurt our feelings either.

Thanks!

Jimmy
jstewart_1981
hunter

Re: Sea Duck hunting Question

Postby seeduk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 pm

http://www.seaduckhunt.com is very accommodating, think they can set you up! We had a list of the trophy birds we wanted and captain perez put us on all of them. Best if you call the guides and ask them.
seeduk
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:50 pm

Give Steve a call t east coast waterfowlers. We went with him last season. Super nice gut and very accommodating.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby brian tierno » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 pm

STEVE at eastcoast waterfowlers X2
brian tierno
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:31 am

I think I have chosen to go with Captain Perez. Thanks for the info. Seeduk, I owe ya one.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby madmanduck » Sun May 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Hey jstewart, if you are still looking for a sea duck guide. Check out seaduck.net. They are in Maine and the hunting is phenominal. Todd was very good to us and worked hard to make sure we were happy. Me and some friends went up last december and did a three day hunt and it was a blast. We killed a ton of great looking birds!
nothing beats the sight of birds working the dekes!!!
madmanduck
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:13 am

Thank you sir! I may look him up when I go back. This year I have a trip booked and I cant wait.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:14 pm

I hunted with seaduck.net years back and wouldn't go back if it was free. You better hunt with Todd the owner because his guides complained everyday how he takes the best spots and hangs them out to dry. We saw exactly that. His group (containing an outdoor writer) limited everyday while telling our guide that it was slow over the radio so not to move over there. If you lie to your own guys that showed a serious lack of character. I have since talked to multiple groups that experienced the exact same thing so you have been warned . Also those afternoon blackduck hunts they offer where the guides sit and watch you from afar laying in rock covered seaweed with three decoys and zero calling... What a joke

I could go on and on with my list of negatives...
duxrus
hunter

Postby madmanduck » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:03 pm

duxrus we did see a little bit of that expecially the black duck hunt. overall though the sea duck hunting was pretty even. both boats killed there limit of eiders the first morning along with some scoters. The next day we all killed our limits of scoters and oldsquaw along with a ton of buffs in the evening. im not really politicing for them as its the only seaduck hunt ive been on but we did have a great time and got the birds we wanted.
nothing beats the sight of birds working the dekes!!!
madmanduck
hunter

Postby GunNRun » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Gimme a call when ya can.....my name is Mick and I have booked a solo hunt with the SWAMPERS in Rhode Island on 31 Dec and 1 Jan if you are interested...(865) 712 - DUCK [3825]

Mick
GunNRun
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting