Mass Sea Duck Hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Mass Sea Duck Hunting

Postby FOLD UM » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:33 pm

30 year duck hunter new to sea ducks. Just geared up with 6 dozon deks. 3 dozen Avery Scoters, 2 dozen Eiders, 1 dozen Old squaw. All plastic foam filled Avery. Priced all kinds of deks, went with the above. Rigged with 6 main lines 100ft 1/4 with 12 25ft ancor lines and 12 50 ft ancor lines if needed. Hunting out of a 19 foot deep V aluminum boat. I get wood,cork, burlap are all better options for deks, that said non are readily avialble or remotly cost effective right now. I rigged all set ups with 3lb anchor weights from cabelas. all main main lines are on extension reals, all anchor lines are secured in cabel wraptors from Lowes. All gear in milk crates. All deks in 12 slot bags 6 doz total.

Questons:

Am i missing anything? I plan on running 100ft main lines with loops on both ends for attachement of anchor ropes at either 25ft or 50ft if needed. Plan on running 36 inch drops with spacing 6-7 between deks with 12 deks per line. Should i also have 150 main line ready to run both anchors direct to main line with no anchor line sections? Given i have never srt up in the ocean, i am not sure of depths i would be hunting next year. I assume 10-45 feet. Open to professional opinions.

This is a new game to me. Born and raised on the Alantic Ocean fishing, just not duck huntin. just need insight to long lining and block sets. Also where to launch out of. i current fish out of the merimac river/plum island... Thanks for your help!
FOLD UM
hunter

Re: Mass Sea Duck Hunting

Postby Fatback » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:45 pm

i'd say sounds like you got everything covered.... Hunted over the Avery eiders this weekend, they were sweet... They are running $400+ a dozen up here , don't think you skipped on quality. Only think I'd say is have more then 3 lb anchors .... but the currents/ tides are probably different here.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby tgs » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Weighted drops if you're gunning with dogs.

I run 3 window weights on the 75' anchor line and 12 decoys on 75' of long line. My typical areas are rocky bottoms so not worry about dragging spread in the tide, a couple other spots I gun I add 2 more window weights to the front and two on the back to hold the spread.

Also use slotted bags for the decoys and leave the long line attached year round. Simply connect to the anchor line and deploy.

Sounds like you have pretty much all that you need. Have fun.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby FOLD UM » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks for the replys. So 10 pounds plus front and rear for weights? I am using the 3 pound grappling style anchor, not sure if these are better or worse. Also concerned that they are not heavy enough in currents in the plum island area. I have pre cut 25 foot & 50 foot anchor lines total of 24 lines pre-rigged with brass snap hooks for attachment to 6 main lines with 12 deks per line. I assume this gives me the flexibility to hunt as deep as 45 -50 feet if needed with 100 foot mainlines running 12 blocks per line. Should i rig 75 foot anchor lines as well or just add 25 footers to 50's as needed. What is your average depth of water hunted in the cape cod to plum island area? just want to be sure that i have the majoirty of the depths covered off. Thanks for the help.....
FOLD UM
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 pm

I hunt LI Sound Ct.
3lb grapple anchors with 2.5' of heavy chain is needed here to keep the long lines in place.
Hunt 20' of water with 35' anchor lines.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby eiderman1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Make you decoy dropper lines a foot long 18 " max dogs can swim over them and they will go out faster less tangle
eiderman1
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:39 am

why separate anchor lines???? just make for MORE stuff that's different!

I terminated the end of my long lines with brass snap swivels....so I can attaché the anchors right to the line....

if the water is deep and or ai want more decoys on a certain string... I just attach a second decoy line to the first. I actually had built three different length lines, 100 ft 150 ft and 200 ft and marked them accordingly so I could see which was which in the gun box I store them in....but I think I really like the idea of just making them all 100 footers and just double or triple as needed....3 lbs of anchor seem light..... I use 5-8 lb and sometimes double them up , to keep them from getting pulled by the current.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 am

That's one of things I would do differently also. I run all 100' LL's. So 100' LL,leave 25' blank on each end so you can attach your anchor right to the LL, 4 foot spacing between deke's and you are all set. Several years ago I also had 25' and 50' separate anchor lines: PITA, the less extra crap you have to take out with you the better IMO. More weight for anchors, I have 7 to 10 lb window weights on each end. Can't have too much anchor. I had a string of G&H super mags slip away several years ago because I didn't have enough weight. I should add that I am not out there Sea duck hunting but rather layout hunting but the principle is the same. How about a pic of that boat ...... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting