Setting up with the wind in your face.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Setting up with the wind in your face.

Postby Stish85 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 pm

When hunting along a shore line thus is the worst thing that can happen. Unfortunately this happens a few times a year to me and with my current situation I have to make the best of it. I have tried several things to no avail. Just looking to see if anyone has figured out some tricks to get the birds working into range in this situation.

The birds in my area don't like to circle of the reeds, they learn very quickly this is a good way to die.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Re: Setting up with the wind in your face.

Postby richard133 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 am

Have you tried setting up on a point that would allow you to set your decoys up wind so the birds can still make a circle Down wind over the water?
richard133
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 am

Have you tried to put the closest deeks at 25-30 yards out giving them room to land on the down wind side of the spread. I t has worked a few times for me.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 am

richard133 wrote:Have you tried setting up on a point that would allow you to set your decoys up wind so the birds can still make a circle Down wind over the water?

Setting up on a point is not usually an option, another group hunts the point. They are very nice guys and have talked to them numerous times, trying to beat them out to get their spot is not worth potentially ruining a good thing.

I have tried putting my closest 25yrds or so out and they still land outside them. I was thinking about moving the decoys 50+ out. Either they will swing inside them and we will get shots or continue to land outside them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby richard133 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

You only have one point in the area you hunt? What waters do you hunt?
richard133
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 am

It is called a boat. There is no easy way to get divers to work to you in the bank with the wind in your face.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm

You should do some scouting. Have spots that work in different winds. Plan's A,B,C and D.
KRB
hunter

Postby sgk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:49 pm

We end up hunting this situation several times a season along the east shore of lake Ontario. Try bringing your dekes in very close and splitting them up into small groups. Not too many dekes. 5 groups of 5-6 birds per group spread out along the shoreline with15-20yds. between groups. Spread your hunting buddies out if you have to. I tried this years ago thinking it would look like birds that landed 20-30yds. out and swam in and it seems to work well. Obviously you wont have birds landing in the dekes but they will come within range. This does not work in very rough seas.
sgk
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting