Milk jugs

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Milk jugs

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Does anyone out there still run milk jugs? I am thinking of running 20 or so next year along with my diver spread. Probably going to do some white and black (like a Ringneck/Bluenill pattern) and then white with a red front for Cans and Reds. Just thinking...do you guys think shooting spray foam would help them ride better and more steady?? And tips on what you guys do or photos are welcome :thumbsup:

Thank you :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Re: Milk jugs

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

No old timers out there?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:42 am

Seen some, haven't done any. I am thinking the more white, the more noticeable, but that is me. I like a lot of white in my diver spread.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby neon58 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Havent had milk jugs in the spread for many many years but my uncle always ran all black jug setup on trotlines running to a couple doz bluebill dekes in front of the blind plus he would have a bunch scattered through the whole spread esp along the shore and behind the blind. This was a combo mallard/diver spread. He also painted every repaired decoy black. Nothing shows up better than the color black IMO. If nothing else thats one of the lessons that stuck with me from my youth that i absolutely agree with. :beer:
neon58
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:00 am

Seems like they would take up a lot of room and not really be easy to stack up or carry out JMO. I will say that I spray paint all my G&H super Mags black though and they suck em in with no problem. A lot of times I think guys have way too much white in a spread. Again JMO.......................
don novicki
hunter

Postby sgk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:03 pm

I agree with the "way too much white" statement. I think the birds in my area are starting to shy away from all those magnum drake dekes. I still use bleach bottles painted black along with 2 dozen GHG "hot buy" mallards painted flat black in my diver spread. several years ago I was glassing a local lake and saw a group of hunters set up down the shoreline. All I could see of their spread was constant flashes of white. A couple hundred yards farther down the shore I could see 4-6 black dots on the water that I assumed were live ducks. As I watched for the next 1/2 hour or so I saw a steady stream of ducks fly into those black dots until there were more than 100 birds there. In the mean time the hunters never fired a shot. I went home that day and painted those flat black mallards. I have shot way more divers over my spread since then plus my diver spread pulls in more puddle ducks than it did before.
sgk
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 pm

I have hunted over coke bottles, milk jugs, clorox bottles, you name it in the past and had success. Ducks will give them a look. I think they work fine to supplement numbers in a huge spread that you leave out all season. If you are hunting a huge lake with a permanent blind and hundreds of decoys, I think it makes sense. If you are only talking about doing twenty, you could buy two dozen hot buy mallards and paint them to divers for what it would cost you in time and great stuff to fill them up. They will hold up better than a cole bottle or milk jug, especially if you are taking them up every time.
hydrilla
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting