Beaver tail final attack

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Beaver tail final attack

Postby Pintailer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Anyone have one? Do they do ok with a small chop on the sound? Looking to get one for diver hunting in eastern nc. Any info or pics Is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pintailer
Last edited by Pintailer on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pintailer
hunter

Re: Beaver tail final attack

Postby olewaki » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:15 pm

HI Pintail!

My buddy and I have been using a final attack boat for 5 years on a big freshwater lake in a somewhat protected bays. It is really stable, but likely more visible to the ducks than a real layout boat. We c-clamp a splash guard on the motor mount as waves near a foot high can splash against the flat transom of the boat with water being thrown high into the air and all over you. It's just a piece of 3/8" plywood cut 8" wide X the width of the boat. We rounded the outer ends a little too. This is screwed at a right angle to a chunk of 2x4 to lower it to even with the deck level of the boat. The 2X4 is what is c-clamped to the motor mount.

Be sure that rear anchor is big enough to hold the tender (1860 jon boat)and final attack boat in a big blow. The rear anchor line needs a big float (bumper)say 10 feet behind the boat. We clip to a big eye bolt that runs through the motor mount. We use a mushroom anchor for the bow of the attack boat. Don't skip this bow anchor or you make get turned sideways and swamped by a big wave.

We have also added more foam floatation as ours came with very little in it.

I'd add photos if I knew how! We run 5 - 120 ft. long lines (dozen deeks each) and another 3 dozen singles that we store in the attack boat strapped across the bow of the tender. Water depth varies from 12-18 deep.

Good luck!

Olewaki
I don't think there are many diver duck long liner in Montana. Everybody hunts mallards that hang around when it gets cold.
olewaki
Newb

Postby Pintailer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:29 am

Thank you for the reply olewaki, that was one thing I figured would happen with that flat back on it. I was going to use it in protected bays maybe on open water with no wind in fairly shallow water. I just thought it would be great to hunt out of it beacuse its versatility. To upload a picture click post reply scroll down to where it says options the other tab under that menu is upload attachment then you click choose file and pick your picture.

Thanks again :biggrin:

Pintailer
Pintailer
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 pm

If you take that thing out on the sound get your affairs in order. Slight weather change and you will be in serious trouble.
KRB
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 pm

I agree with KRB. Open water layout hunting is not really something to half ass. Why not buy or build a real layout boat? We love the success we enjoy, but safety is paramount. There are a couple nice ones available new. If you are looking to save some coin buy a good used one, or build one!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Pintailer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 pm

I understand that safety is a huge concern, Im going to have a tender boat a 150 yards away and a life jacket on. Im not planning on using it when its rough im going to use it on a saltwater marsh no chop. Was just looking to find out if it hides you well and works.
And i might have to look into building or buying a safe layout boat I liked the beavertail because how light it is and the motor mount on the back.

Thanks for the replys :thumbsup:

Pintailer
Pintailer
hunter

Postby Pintailer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Bump :bump:
Pintailer
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting