Diver decoy set up/placement

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Diver decoy set up/placement

Postby bobbyy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm

I have 3 dozen diver decoys 1 dozen Bufflehead decoys and 2 dozen of bluebill decoys they all are on long lines and I was wondering how I should place them or set them up to get more ducks to come in? Thanks
bobbyy
hunter

Re: Diver decoy set up/placement

Postby sgk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:57 am

The answer to this question depends on too many variables. Hunting from a boat, layout, point or shoreline. Wind direction and speed, wave action, species targeted, etc., etc., etc..
Every day I hunt divers my spread is different depending on the combination of these variables.
sgk
hunter

Postby duckhuntMN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:13 am

I'm in same spot I have Been reading all I can. think I'm going with long lines and a few single rigged for filler I hunt deep water like 20'. Think I'm going to just start trying settups to see what works
duckhuntMN
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm

When hunting divers I prefer to run a blob of decoys with longlines running out from that
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby tsamp » Thu May 15, 2014 3:18 pm

koonce727 wrote:When hunting divers I prefer to run a blob of decoys with longlines running out from that

Not a super seasoned diver hunter but being on the east coast in NC for a few years now I would have to say lots of success comes from the blob or 2 with long lines running to each. But blind placement is key in the sense as well. Can't be to fare over here nor there you know?!
tsamp
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting