diver decoy placement for shore line hunts

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

diver decoy placement for shore line hunts

Postby duckhuntMN » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm

New to divers. Got 9 dz bluebill GHG life size,1dz cans over size 1 dz Buffalo head over sized and 1/2 dz redhead oversize all on long lines but 2 dz Bluebills.
Any ideas how to set them would be great
duckhuntMN
hunter

Re: diver decoy placement for shore line hunts

Postby werp16 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:28 am

I don't hunt divers a lot but when I do I set one big long line of divers and throw out the individual rigged decoys around it to beak up the line. Always seems pretty affective and thats how a guide set up his spread when we went hunting with him.
werp16
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:12 pm

I hunt from shore most of the time. I typically hunt a gravel point with almost no cover but it sticks out a couple hundred yards into the bay. When the ducks are flying around they often cut the distance on a point and come a bit closer to shore. When taking wind direction into account of course it's best if the wind is at your back but a workable spread can be had with wind traveling in from your left or right. With wind from either of those three choices I try to have a large blob of decoys upwind of my position. Then I run a few long lines down past my position . Either upwind to my left upwind to my right or behind me next to the point. The birds actually work the best I think with a crosswind that way they don't have to flyover land when circling . The toughest situation from shore is to have the wind in your face. My best luck in that situation if I don't have another spot to hunt is to have a large blob of decoys along the shoreline and no further than 20 yards out and then mostly expect flybys/pass shooting. Depending on your situation a permanent blind in some good cattail cover sure would be nice. When I hunt on the open gravel bar I use the mo marsh layout seat on the ground and put goose silhouettes all around me. It seems to work pretty well in fact last year when the bluebills first came down we had two of them land Swim in and crawl out and lay on the gravel bar within 6 feet of me.(we already had our bill limit, who says divers arent wary!)
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby koonce727 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Buffalo heads ay? Shorelines I always run a blob with long lines off of it or a blobby looking j
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 am

if the wind is at my back I employ a w- spread with two shooting lanes. I would put the cans to one side , the buffs to the other, and take the bills straight out with the singles filling in nearest the hide. Take one or two of the bill longlines out a lot farther out to pull them in.
Cross winds I put the lines out sideways with a couple lines way down wind. the buff lines straight out on the upwind side. Fill in the up wind side with the singles.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 pm

duckhuntMN wrote:New to divers. Got 9 dz bluebill GHG life size,1dz cans over size 1 dz Buffalo head over sized and 1/2 dz redhead oversize all on long lines but 2 dz Bluebills.

sell 11 dozen of your deeks. that many will just hurt you-landing on the edges or too far left or too far right. unless you hunt with a bunch of catholics and their kids....then get at 'em. J is all you need if you are alone.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby zippyduck » Thu May 01, 2014 5:37 am

I have hunted over a hundred deeks for years, and as many as 200. and still have them in range, you just have to put landing zones that the birds can glide into and not over the other deeks.
zippyduck
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 am

ohioboy wrote:
duckhuntMN wrote:New to divers. Got 9 dz bluebill GHG life size,1dz cans over size 1 dz Buffalo head over sized and 1/2 dz redhead oversize all on long lines but 2 dz Bluebills.

sell 11 dozen of your deeks. that many will just hurt you-landing on the edges or too far left or too far right. unless you hunt with a bunch of catholics and their kids....then get at 'em. J is all you need if you are alone.
Why would anyone sell decoys they already own? That's just wrong, like selling a spare shotgun....... It's always nice to have the option of a large spread, some circumstances need a large spread, sometimes just a few. At least if you have the decoys you have the option! First thing I would do is get a layout boat if you really want to hunt divers, then you can hunt where the wind is in your favor and where the birds want to be. You can slay puddle ducks and geese too, with the right boat. Have fun!
blackrock
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 pm

ohioboy wrote:

depends on what kind of water he is hunting.
hunting out on the bay a dozen decoys will get you a few birds but if you want to get the big flocks to commit you need more than a dozen
mdfowlman
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting