Where does everyone go to hunt Divers?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Where does everyone go to hunt Divers?

Postby it flies it dies » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:02 am

I live in Michigan and have gone to a few diferent lakes to layout boat hunt. However, I am always looking for new areas with lots of ducks. Does anyone have any suggestions for th Michigan or Illinois areas. I hunt in Michigan and am from there. However, I do a lot of business in Illinois and would love to have an area there to check out as well.

If you have any ideas please let me know.
it flies it dies
Newb

Postby pj » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:05 pm

I hunt mostly in Nodak. There's some darn good diver shootin here. Although most guys just hunt puddlers.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

It's a long ways away BUT...

Postby duckmanwalking » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:39 am

You'll not want to travel out here...but, we have some great diver duck hunting here in Utah. The Great Salt Lake is a frenzy of divers come late November. If you ever venture out West stop and hunt, you'll enjoy the action! (Oh and make sure you put in for a Swan tag. While they'er not divering ducks, they make for a very interesting hunt.) Good luck in Michigan, and keep them splashing!!
Hold it. No not yet. Hold it.....(Boom) Go ahead, take-em! (The way my brother calls the shots.)
duckmanwalking
hunter

Postby michgnhntr » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:40 pm

There is excellant diver hunting on saginaw bay!! Bluebills, Cans, Redheads! The whole bay is good, but I prefer the east side. Usually I put my boat in by wildfowl bay. When do you want to go? :thumbsup:
michgnhntr
hunter

michigan diver hunts

Postby MJB9138 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:32 pm

michignhntr, how about a east side saginaw bay hunt trade for a tawas bay hunt? or houghton lake hunt? we hunt out of a TDB and acn go about anywhere anytime for the next 4 weeks or so. next week will see us in tawas bay, weekafter will be in mackinaw straights area, 1st week in nov
will be upper miss river pool 9. would dearly appreciatte some info on saginaw bay. we hunted out of fish point lodge 2 yrs ago. man, was the water low! anyway, anythinh i can answer for you, mjb9138@charter.net
thanks
HUNT OUT OF A TDB
MJB9138
hunter

Postby teamberetta1 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:52 pm

Hey, i live in wisconsin, manitowoc to be exact. In order to get divers we go out on the big pond, lake michigan. you dont have to go far, but you can. We normally do real good on bluebills, goldeneyes, bufflehead and many others.
teamberetta1
Newb

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:32 pm

detroit river and lake erie is the place to be you can get good divers and hit them hard through out the season
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:14 am

i hunt the lower columbia river in a large area about 10 miles upriver from the ocean. though i don't normally target divers specifically, it offers some of the premier diver hunting in this part of the country. Scaup by the thousands winter here and with relatively little hunting pressure they tend to decoy easily. Canvasbacks are in good supply as are a myriad of other diver species.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:12 pm

swamp puppy i have hunted that area before fun place to hunt.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:43 pm

yeah, good hunting for sure. i am usually down there early in the season hunting puddlers and not so much later when the big diver flocks move in. i am probably going to hunt them a bit more now that my Duck Chili recipe is almose perfected.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:40 am

Not alot of divers per-sey here in SW Missouri, but I have had alot of Ringnecks,200 or so at a time, come in at Bushwacker Lake. Obviously you wouldn't drive 10 hours to hunt em here, but it's still cool to see that many black screamers falling out of the sky at a time. When they start down from 1000 ft. or so they sound like a jet. Pretty neat to see and hear. You don't know wether to shoot or take cover!
:salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby what ever » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:19 pm

I am new to the site and thought this would be a good place to start. I mainly Goose hunt but do diver hunt for a change of pace. I hunt the Chesapeake Bay and tributarys mainly the Choptank River. Lots of waterfowl to be had.
what ever
hunter

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:49 am

:welcome:
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:26 pm

what ever wrote:I am new to the site and thought this would be a good place to start. I mainly Goose hunt but do diver hunt for a change of pace. I hunt the Chesapeake Bay and tributarys mainly the Choptank River. Lots of waterfowl to be had.

i can vouch for this...14 ducks our first hunt on the eastern shore and you wouldn't believe how foggy it was. and with the geese, it only got better.

glad you finally made it brother, :welcome: .

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:28 pm

shrpshtr.....whats the dark bird next to the Mallard drake?
huntmq1
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:36 pm

to the left, canadian goose. to the right, drake bufflehead.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:47 pm

:mrgreen: awwww........didn't see any white on him so I didn't know what it was. Is that a Scoter or Squaw at the far left end..? Just curious, we don't get "those" in Missouri. I used to see them out on Long Island when I lived there, just didn't know the name of them at the time. Nice bag though!!
:thumbsup:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:39 pm

it is a scoter. i am surprised you can make them out though. the reason i say that is they have had there head's blown almost off by the gentleman who was fetching them in the canoe. there are 2 of them there.

thanks for the compliment. it was a great time. here is a picture of the geese we harvested on the same trip. that eastern shore is a special place.

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:21 pm

That last pic looks like it was a great day also, especially since you had young hunters with you. The eastern shore is pretty neat for waterfowl. I've lived most of my 34 years in SW Missouri except the year I lived out on Long Island, W. Hampton area, last year. I lived 30 yards right off the southern shore in the pine barrens. I have never seen so many Hooded Mergansers and alot of Swans to boot. Lots of sea ducks, had no idea what they were. I now know they were Scoters and Squaws and who knows what else.
:salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting