diver decoy question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

diver decoy question

Postby keith96 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:25 pm

So I'm seting up my long lines and i was wondering if i run 3 lines one of blue bills one of goldeneyes and oneof buffies will divers decoy to them being that there is diffrent species
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Re: diver decoy question

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:25 pm

depends what you are trying to decoy, redheads and cans are generally pretty dumb and decoy well. buffies and goldeneye are generally harder to decoy. As long as you are where the birds want to be and are concealed well you will be fine with that setup
Rhock19
hunter

Postby keith96 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Should i separat the buffie and goldeneyes in a separat raft then the blue bill and can decoys or jus leave them together
(-true waterfowling-)
keith96
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:32 pm

I think generally, people overthink their species placement, especially with divers. Divers are fun ducks to hunt but not typically all that cautious. I mix them all. Whistlers, Broadbills. Buffies, even Scoters. The only decoys I separate are Oldsquaws, I put them in a straight line leading right to me but off to the side the other decoys. If the ducks aren't decoying it's not usually your mix of decoys that's to blame.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 am

all my bills are on long lines and my buffies and goldens are on their own seperate lines. i place my buffies and goldens in pods
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:59 pm

I think the best policy is to always see what the birds in your area are doing and copy that. Everyone will tell you that divers and puddlers don't mix and that goldeneyes like to be separate from other divers. Every year in late November On green bay I see loose flocks of mallards goldeneyes and bluebills all completely intermingled right in front of my house . It's not an isolated incident, when I finally ignored what everyone said and mixed the ducks up and placed them exactly as I saw them I had better luck. So as is true with most duckhunting Scouting is really the answer. In my case the ducks are all eating shallow growing weeds and the occasional zebra mussel.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Diver Duck Hunting